Research for Internal Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeafoodNoodles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recall this statement;

You don't need to do research in every facet of a speciality to boost your application (for IM). It would be best if your research is applicable to your chosen speciality though. And some areas are applicable to almost any speciality (cancer, stem cells, etc).

Now I have one quesiton:

What areas of research are applicable to community based Internal Medicine program?

What areas of research are applicable to university based internal medicine program?

Members don't see this ad.

I recall this statement;

Now I have one quesiton:

What areas of research are applicable to community based Internal Medicine program?

Any public health research.

Any chart review project.

Anything about diabetes, kidney failure, heart failure, or hypertension.

I recall this statement;What areas of research are applicable to university based internal medicine program?

Any specialty research project, bench or clinical

IM is kinda easy when it comes to research. Just be careful how specific you get. I was asked if I still wanted to do Nephrology on the interview trail. I was like "nephrology?" Ohhhhh, you mean the papers I published about HYPERTENSION that happened to use a renal rat model? Yeah... Still got my top choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply.

How do you think about Neuroscience research? What if I have done neuroscience research but applying IM. :confused:

Any public health research.

Any chart review project.

Anything about diabetes, kidney failure, heart failure, or hypertension.

Any specialty research project, bench or clinical

IM is kinda easy when it comes to research. Just be careful how specific you get. I was asked if I still wanted to do Nephrology on the interview trail. I was like "nephrology?" Ohhhhh, you mean the papers I published about HYPERTENSION that happened to use a renal rat model? Yeah... Still got my top choice!

I didn't know what a nephrologist was until I met one.