Research for Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all residencies require research experience? For the ones that do, how much is normal for applicants to have? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, no one is responding, so I'll bite ;) .

Research is recommended for highly competitive residencies or for residencies in academic institutions known for research. So if you want to do neurosurgery, dermatology, etc, yeah, you should do research if you are not willing to relocate to any residency program in the country (are willing not to be choosey where you end up).

HERE ARE SOME COMMON MISTAKES MADE RE. RESEARCH:
1. Thinking you have to know what residency you will choose before commiting to a project and putting off research until late in medical school. Yes, if you already know what you want to do, it's best to do it in that field. But it is a mistake to put it off until late in 3rd year or worse, 4th year. You want to have time to contribute to a publication and be knowledgeable enough to to discuss it inside and out. At the very least, you ought to be able to say (while you are interviewing for residencies) that the "manuscript is in preparation."

2. Ignoring opportunities for publication that do not involve research. I am guilty of this, I cannot even tell you how many reportable cases (rare illnesses and conditions) I encountered in med school. What a fool! I should have offered to write these up! I could have had at least 4 publications going into residency, but I was "too busy" to put in the effort. Don't do what I did... :(

3. Signing up for a research project and not taking it seriously. A friend of mine did this -- basically, he took 6 weeks of research elective time and used it as a vacation (he thought he was in good with the P.D. and that the person he had signed up with to do research had no say in the acceptance of residents -- he was wrong, any faculty can blackball you). You have to work your butt off in a research elective. Consider it as a subinternship or an audition for an outstanding letter of recommendation. Even if you end up with negative results (ie, non-publishable results... hey it happens...), you want to get a letter from your faculty advisor that says you are the best thing since sliced bread.

OK, this is too long already. Good luck and let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for answering. I was also wondering that if you have little/no research experience, will you be taught the skills needed to participate/carry out a project?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ana and Mr. Turtle:

I am very interested in this topic as well. I would like to go through this match but I don't think I'll have ECFMG in time. I have lots of technical experience but none in bio research. If I must wait a year for next match I need to do things that will look good on my application and also that I can learn from. I worry that if I am doing research and then try to apply into clinical specialty (like IM) I won't be allowed because I will be over a year out of clinical med school work. Can either of you offer some advice. Thankx so much.

Cheers

M-

Question:

How does one go about writing a case report of these rare illnesses/conditions? The EM residency director for LSU-NO came to talk to us and told us that this was a great way to get some publications, but I wasn't sure exactly how it was done. He said that the total work put in would be ~20 hours and it was an almost guarantee publication.

Do I just walk into Charity Hospital and look for oddities???

Thanks in advance,
Simul
Tulane Med '05

hi. thanks for asking this question, and thanks ana for your reply. I've been thinking a lot about this lately too. But the thing is, i have absolutely no research experience. will it be possible for me to learn "on the job"? will my research mentor show me how to set up the project and carry it out? i want to do something valuable this summer, and am really hoping to get something published out of it. i'm thinking clinical research would be better for me cuz of my lack of experience. any thoughts on this?

one other thing - what's the best way to set up a research experience? i'd really like to get out of town for the summer, go some place like the east or west coast. but how do i go about setting this up?

thanks! i can't wait to hear from all of you experienced people out there!!