Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all.

I will be graduating with ~3.6 from a large, flagship state university next summer. I have no research experience at the moment and none pending, but I am a STEM major.

Considering that I have no research experience at this time, is it possible to work/volunteer in a research setting post graduation?

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi all.

I will be graduating with ~3.6 from a large, flagship state university next summer. I have no research experience at the moment and none pending, but I am a STEM major.

Considering that I have no research experience at this time, is it possible to work/volunteer in a research setting post graduation?
I asked one of my professors about 2 months before graduating if I could do an independent research project with him as my advisor, and he said yes. Just go talk to some profs whose work you're interested in or with whom you had a good rapport.

OP
Paramagnetic
Jul 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I asked one of my professors about 2 months before graduating if I could do an independent research project with him as my advisor, and he said yes. Just go talk to some profs whose work you're interested in or with whom you had a good rapport.
That's brilliant, actually. I had never considered doing research independently. Can I ask what your overall process was? (as for determining what to write about, how many other researchers you recruited [if any], if it was published, etc.)

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
That's brilliant, actually. I had never considered doing research independently. Can I ask what your overall process was? (as for determining what to write about, how many other researchers you recruited [if any], if it was published, etc.)
No prob. I asked him if he'd be my advisor and presented a couple ideas for a project. He told me which ones he thought were most promising, and we agreed on one specific one. We didn't feel like we needed anyone else, so it has been just me doing it on my own and checking in with him regularly. I just finished writing the paper and am about to start submitting it (he is reviewing the end product one more time). The subject is somewhat interdisciplinary, so he had some additional faculty take a look at the data and the paper as well.

If you want anything more specific, shoot me a PM.