Research for specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggezzz

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a question.

I really think that I may be interested in specializing after dental school. I hear that in order to get into these programs that you need to do some research. My problem is that I really do not have the time or the desire to do this research.

So my is that , "Do you guys think that it is absolutely necessary to do research in order to get into a specialty program." I think I would like to do Endo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, ENDO is one of, if not, the most competitive specialties. It is likely that to remain a competitive applicant you will have to demonstrate an interest in Endo. beyond the norm. I'm not saying that it can't be done-----smashing the boards (95+) and being in the top 5 in your class will help, however, research remains an almost essential.

Endo is one of the few specialties that is pushing towards a mandatory year post-graduation of general dentistry----before acceptance. I believe it is called a GPR. This is the story currently.

Hope it helps,
RRB

Endo. has taken applicants who are straight out of dental school, however, in general they want you to have a year or two private practice your GPR/AEGD. Endo. also happens to be big on research. The residents do a lot of literature review of previous studies, and most will require you to do research to graduate. Therefore, they like applicants who have done previous research. You need to get to know your Endo. faculty really well and let them know of your desire to specialize in Endo. This can really help you.