research for top 20 schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vuze142

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here on SDN, and I keep reading that to get into top 20 schools you definitely need to have done undergraduate research. Are there any top 20 schools that you are more likely to get into despite not doing research? Also, I understand that extensive clinical/leadership extra-curriculars can substitute for lack of research. What kinds of extra-curriculars specifically fall into this category. Would president of a club, TA of a class, or internship at a hospital count? Also, if you do research, does it have to be bio research? Is chem research acceptable? psych research?

Members don't see this ad.

What rank list are we talking about for Top 20 school? Med schools can be ranked a lot of ways. If you are talking about the US NEWS Top Research schools, what do you think they are going to weigh highly among applicants?

I would think hard about what you want in a medical school. If your goal is academics with research, then it makes sense to pay attention to these Research rankings. If your goal is to practice Pain Management in a mid-sized city and build your wealth as much as possible, the US NEWS rankings will send you in the wrong direction.

I could explain more if you have any specific quesitons........

look at the u.s. news primary care rankings if you're obsessed with "top 20" schools.

If your goal is to practice Pain Management in a mid-sized city and build your wealth as much as possible, the US NEWS rankings will send you in the wrong direction.

so does that mean going to a top research institution would not be the best for this practice scenario? what kind of medical school would you recommend then?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm new here on SDN, and I keep reading that to get into top 20 schools you definitely need to have done undergraduate research. Are there any top 20 schools that you are more likely to get into despite not doing research? Also, I understand that extensive clinical/leadership extra-curriculars can substitute for lack of research. What kinds of extra-curriculars specifically fall into this category. Would president of a club, TA of a class, or internship at a hospital count? Also, if you do research, does it have to be bio research? Is chem research acceptable? psych research?

Assuming you fully understand why you want to go to a top 20 school...

There are students that get accepted to top 20 schools without any research. There are quite a few of them actually (but I still wouldn't say the majority). Indeed you must have something else in place of research so that you still bring things to the table when people look over your application. At most schools, club leadership experience, TAing and internships would be considered valuable.

Keep in mind that many students will do these sort of things in addition to research work so you theoretically have to match these applicants and then do more in place of where they would have done research. For some of the extremely top tier places, a traditional club leadership or TA position will not be "unique" enough to be competitive so you really want to look out for things that show distinction in creativity/dedication/skill etc. What this entails is up to you.

so does that mean going to a top research institution would not be the best for this practice scenario? what kind of medical school would you recommend then?

I really feel like this is a case-by-case scenario. If your goal is to build wealth, so much more of how successful you are at it will depend on how business savvy you are than the medical school you attend. In fact, I can guarantee you that what medical school you attend will have little bearing on how much you can make. However, it will determine how easily your transition into academic medicine will be (with attendance at a top research university making that easier).

I think you should also be asking yourself why you are interested in attending a top20. Is it only due to the name? It is because of the curriculum? I have an interest in some of these schools because I do have an extensive research background and would like to continue in that vain during medical school. If your interest is due to their research programs, you may have trouble conveying that since you don't have research experience.

i think you should also be asking yourself why you are interested in attending a top20. Is it only due to the name? It is because of the curriculum? I have an interest in some of these schools because i do have an extensive research background and would like to continue in that vain during medical school. If your interest is due to their research programs, you may have trouble conveying that since you don't have research experience.
+1

The key for these schools is tangible accomplishments. Research is a common way, and convenient in that there is a clear structure for it and the results are easily articulated (published this paper, made this finding, etc.). The field of research tends not to matter as long as it is academic - something that could be published in a peer-reviewed journal given favorable results is sufficient.

Being president of a club is not a real accomplishment, but using that position to make something significant is.

look at the u.s. news primary care rankings if you're obsessed with "top 20" schools.

Exactly! If your goal is to build wealth in private practice, no med school name will help you. You would be best served to attend a cheap medical school that has a pain management program doing plenty of procedures. Ideal situation.

Only use Top 20 lists if they specifically grade the school based on what you want in life. If research is important to you, then surely a Top Research school list might be important. If you are interested in law schools, don't go look at lists for top business schools.