research good idea for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerstud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,
I am really concern what to do after I graduate.
I am graduating this december...
the thing is my sGPA is pretty low and im trying to figure out what do to for next year and half to help my chance of getting in.

What I am thinking is doing research for one year with more shadowing and volunteer work.

My gpa=3.6 sGPA=3.2 and my DAT total Science 21 total academic 21
and im trying to get in to texas schools or tufts, bu, nyu

give me some tips!

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT is great, I would do a science related post-bac and try and raise you science GPA. Continue to volunteer, try and find something dental related. I would only do so much shadowing, after 100-150 hours it is really not going to add to your understanding of dentistry or to your application.

If you want to do research and are interested in it then go for it. It can only help your application. I did not do any research and had no problem getting into my top schools.

hey,
the thing is my sGPA is pretty low and im trying to figure out what do to for next year and half to help my chance of getting in.

What I am thinking is doing research for one year with more shadowing and volunteer work.

give me some tips!

This question has come up from time to time, but my advice would be to only 'do' research if you really enjoy it. I'm in the science field now, (actually my background sounds similar to yours) and I do enjoy research, but I can see how it would be a miserable experience if I didn't.

That being said, I don't really think you have bad stats, they look pretty strong on the surface, I would advise you to apply early when you do.

good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you. I think i'm going to do research next term because I enjoy the prof, like the subject, and need a letter of rec lol. I guess you can also think of research as rounding off your applicaiton. If you've done shadowing and volunteering in the community it would be neat to have research experience too.
I think your stats are great - despite the 3.2. It would be nice to raise it but you got a 21 dat and also have a 3.6 overall. I think that would translate into some interviews very nicely.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think i'm going to do research next term because I enjoy the prof, like the subject, and need a letter of rec lol. I guess you can also think of research as rounding off your applicaiton. If you've done shadowing and volunteering in the community it would be neat to have research experience too.
I think your stats are great - despite the 3.2. It would be nice to raise it but you got a 21 dat and also have a 3.6 overall. I think that would translate into some interviews very nicely.

I too don't think you need to worry too much about your 3.2. Sure, it may make it more difficult to guarantee an acceptance at your top school but with 21+, you will probably receive interviews. Would it be worth doing post-b? I really don't think so but that's just me.

How many upper division sciences have you taken? Maybe you could take a few of those to raise the sGPA?

Neither of the 3 choices is going to make your s-gpa look better. While your DAT will no doubt get you noted, don't hold your breath for UTHSCSA. You could always try to contact the schools in question.

hey,

give me some tips!

biology based post-bacc will resolve your sGPA issue. Take some biologies, upper level, and do well in them, this is a much better solution than simply doing research or shadowing.

Some classes to consider are the following: Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry (1, 2, or both), Microbiology, Genetics, Histology, Pharmacology, Immunology, Pathology (if you can land it), and a few more than I can't think off.

Good luck on whatever you decide

Everybody here has some good ideas, but you're numbers are fine. A 21 Dat puts you in the top 5-12%. Your gpa of 3.6 is good. The first thing I would do is sometime in the late spring plan to sit down and meet with the Dean of Admissions at the particular schools you are interested in. This is your opportunity to show them how much you want to be a dentist and go to their school, when they would otherwise just see your name on a piece of paper. They will appreciate your interest, and you may stick out in their mind when your application comes across the table, knowing you took the time to meet with them.
Aside from that, research on paper looks pretty good. When I met with one particular admissions director, I brought up the fact I did research and contributed to a publication, and that raised his eye browe. He mentioned how faculty are always looking for students with research experience to help in the lab. Not everybody has research experience, so that would make you stand out. If you live close enough to a dental school of your interest, see if you can shadow in a particular department. The more you show your face, the more they will realize how serious you are about dental school.