research grant seed money???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beefballs

MIDWEST
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dilemma is this. I have just completed a summer research project which has turned out nicely and I would like to continue on with this project. I was hoping to find seed money (about $5k) for supplies (anitbodies, media, etc not $$ for my pocket) to continue on with this project through the year.
My question is what organizations would support a project like this while I am in school (M2)? I have considered HH and Doris Duke, but would prefer to do that btwn M2 and M3 year after step 1.

Any and all advice would be appreciated
thanks beefballs

Members don't see this ad.

My dilemma is this. I have just completed a summer research project which has turned out nicely and I would like to continue on with this project. I was hoping to find seed money (about $5k) for supplies (anitbodies, media, etc not $$ for my pocket) to continue on with this project through the year.
My question is what organizations would support a project like this while I am in school (M2)? I have considered HH and Doris Duke, but would prefer to do that btwn M2 and M3 year after step 1.

Any and all advice would be appreciated
thanks beefballs

Is there market potential? (i.e. are you looking for a donor or an investor?)

I don't know about market potential, I was looking for grant money to cover expenses. Since I cannot devote my full time to the project until next summer, I don't think it would be wise of me to go down that road.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about market potential, I was looking for grant money to cover expenses. Since I cannot devote my full time to the project until next summer, I don't think it would be wise of me to go down that road.
Doris Duke will fund you for a year (stipend + budget) at a set of schools nationwide. If you're at one of those schools and get a spot (hard to get) then you could something like what you suggest. But it's a year off, not during the year.

HHMI Cloisters will give you stipend to be in DC at the HHMI campus, cloistered, for a year. You'll get to use your advisor's $$$ to do a project there.

HHMI Scholars will give you stipend + budget at any MD school in the US, but you have to identify and have the support of a mentor. And it is a year-off program.

There's also the NIH CRTP and NIH Intramural program, but all of these are year-off programs, not what you want to do.

You might look up the AMA and AMSA websites. I think both of them have research scholarships that are awarded during the year. If your project has a specific focus (e.g. hypertension) then you could apply to the national organization that supports research in that field (e.g. AHA). Or ask your school's research dept. for institutional grants. My school has a grant for med students doing research during the year.

Thanks for the info. I love my project and have gotten some $$ from a research interest group at my school/affiliated hospital for the rest of the calendar year. If all goes well I think I am going to try to do HHMI scholars after M2 & step 1. What started as some CV padding has blossomed into something I really like. After some discussion I think that working on this through the New Year, then focusing on just school & boards is what needs to happen.

thanks again for the info