Research Grant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSaab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was granted a large sum of money for my undergraduate research. I thought this is something that would hopefully make my application a little stronger. I was wondering how does one go about explaining it. Where do you mention it? Do you let them know how much you received? I dont want to sound cocky, but still want med schools to see it.

I also dont plan on going for a MD/PhD, so how useful is it for applying to regular MD programs, and how would I go about explaining it in my applications?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your perspective on what I'm sure is an amazing accomplishment is all wrong. Forgive me for being blunt, but no one has any interest in knowing how much money you recieved for research. What matters is the ACTUAL RESEARCH that you've done. Elaborate on its significance to the field of science and in your own life. I would then mention that you recieved a grant for said research but the amount is completely irrelevant. Actaully, if you contributed in any way to writing the grant proposal then that is absolutely worth mentioning as well. Hope this helps!

Is this a competitive grant you had to apply for? You can usually list those type of things as an award on AMCAS since that what it is, a financial award. I don't think the amount should be listed but you can mention if it was a competitive grant to get. Also, remind your research supervisor about it and they can probably incorporate a mention of it in their LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should mention it in your AMCAS application. Do not use a whole EC slot to talk about your grant, but mention it along with your research. Start the description of your research by saying "In may 2004, I received a $50,000 grant from the NIH to conduct a study on blah blah blah." That way, it is explicit but not too explicit.

I think it is important to mention it in your application and it will help you. Many applicants have done research prior to medical school. Some claim they're doing research when all they did in the lab was running PCR. Schools want to find out how involved you are with your research. That's why they ask if you've published. In your case, receiving a grant is as good as publishing a paper.

DoctorSaab said:
I was granted a large sum of money for my undergraduate research. I thought this is something that would hopefully make my application a little stronger. I was wondering how does one go about explaining it. Where do you mention it? Do you let them know how much you received? I dont want to sound cocky, but still want med schools to see it.

I also dont plan on going for a MD/PhD, so how useful is it for applying to regular MD programs, and how would I go about explaining it in my applications?

Thanks.

Hey DoctorSaab,

I got asked why I didnt choose MD/PhD over the regular MD program at one of my interviews (I had done a lot of research). I just answered by saying that after speaking with several MD/PHD students I know, a lot of them feel that the MD/PhD program trains neither good doctors nor good scientists. Its because there is a huge gap between 1st 2 years of med school and last 2 years for some programs (4-5years). And then a big gap between the end of your PhD research and getting back into the academic research world. So I would rather finish medical school and residency with good clinical training and then start building my academic research muscles. My interviewer agreed with me . . .well, thats just my take on things, no offense to any MD/PhD people. :)

Thanks guys, that is helpful!

looool @ ur nic, aim & email :D

Sabrinne said:
Hey DoctorSaab,

I got asked why I didnt choose MD/PhD over the regular MD program at one of my interviews (I had done a lot of research). I just answered by saying that after speaking with several MD/PHD students I know, a lot of them feel that the MD/PhD program trains neither good doctors nor good scientists.

to Sabrinne: I know you don't mean any harm at all when you said this. So just to make it clear, my post isn't about criticizing you at all. Instead, it's just a word of warning for those who interview in the future and are asked this.

Often, instead of getting an MD as an interviewer, you might get a PhD, MD/PhD, or an MD that does bench research and practices. Now if one answers the above question that way (saying that MH/PhD programs don't train the person particularly well for either science or medicine), my feeling is that the interviewer might take offense by this statement. Maybe to lighten the mood, you can say that you personally feel that an MD/PhD program will not be the best way to accomplish your goals, [blah, blah, blah mention goals here], and how you do love research, but can find many ways in the future during med school and beyond to incorporate research into your career. That's how I approached the question. Remember, don't be negative about someone's else's career!

As for the OP's question: just include it in AMCAS as one of your EC's. It might be tacky to mention the amount of funding. Like CarleneM said, the fact that the grant is competitive is more important. Additionally, your plans for the grant money and what research results you will have to show for it by the time you apply to med school will be important as well. Good luck!

oniwindu said:
to Sabrinne: I know you don't mean any harm at all when you said this. So just to make it clear, my post isn't about criticizing you at all. Instead, it's just a word of warning for those who interview in the future and are asked this.

Often, instead of getting an MD as an interviewer, you might get a PhD, MD/PhD, or an MD that does bench research and practices. Now if one answers the above question that way (saying that MH/PhD programs don't train the person particularly well for either science or medicine), my feeling is that the interviewer might take offense by this statement. Maybe to lighten the mood, you can say that you personally feel that an MD/PhD program will not be the best way to accomplish your goals, [blah, blah, blah mention goals here], and how you do love research, but can find many ways in the future during med school and beyond to incorporate research into your career. That's how I approached the question. Remember, don't be negative about someone's else's career!

As for the OP's question: just include it in AMCAS as one of your EC's. It might be tacky to mention the amount of funding. Like CarleneM said, the fact that the grant is competitive is more important. Additionally, your plans for the grant money and what research results you will have to show for it by the time you apply to med school will be important as well. Good luck!

No offense taken. Actually, my answer to my interviewer was a much more toned down version of my previous post. No sense in getting him all riled up, but sdn has a way of making me more brutally honest. :D