research heavy neurosurgery residency that is family friendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicalgesia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current MD/PhD student and will be applying for neurosurgery residency in a couple years. I want an academic, research-heavy program (especially in tumor), and I will also be married and (hopefully) have a kid or two during residency. I'm open to anywhere in the country. Obviously, many large academic centers have active research programs that suit my interests, but I'm curious if any of these are also known to be better or worse for residents with budding families. Any general suggestions for residency programs? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current MD/PhD student and will be applying for neurosurgery residency in a couple years. I want an academic, research-heavy program (especially in tumor), and I will also be married and (hopefully) have a kid or two during residency. I'm open to anywhere in the country. Obviously, many large academic centers have active research programs that suit my interests, but I'm curious if any of these are also known to be better or worse for residents with budding families. Any general suggestions for residency programs? Thanks!

Please be more specific. What kind of male:female ratio are you looking for? Are you looking for programs that rotate at multiple hospitals or just one? Do you care whether they have gamma knife?

Please be more specific. What kind of male:female ratio are you looking for? Are you looking for programs that rotate at multiple hospitals or just one? Do you care whether they have gamma knife?

Thanks for your help. Sorry if I sound naive, but I'm not sure why I need to worry about the gender ratio or the hospital rotations. In terms of procedures, unless I'm missing something, learning all of the current/future treatment options seems quite necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
stanford fits, lots of residents with kids, lots of research, lots of md/phds

family friendly and neurosurgery is always a bit of an oxymoron, but stanford is more family friendly than many other programs

I heard from a resident at Michigan's program that they are family-friendly, and that they do their best to respect the resident's day off and stick to the 80-hour rule. He was married with kids and seemed extremely happy with his decision.