SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dmd1272, Mar 13, 2002.

  1. dmd1272

    dmd1272 Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 28, 2002
    I'm dying to do some research but how do I go about it, I mean,how can I approach a professor to sponsor something, or should I sign up for an independent study class and then focus on a topic relating to dentistry....
    thanks :confused:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Beagle

    Beagle Meet BEAGLE 7+ Year Member

    Jul 16, 2001
    Hey DMD
    the way I approached it in undergrad was to walk up to a professor and tell him that I was interested in doing research and ask if he had any room for students in his lab. Next, find out what type of work he is researching on. Every proff works on something different so you'll find one that is doing research in a field of interest to you. Than....he'll say yes or no to you and you're all set!!!! Oh yeah--the first time I did resarch, I really didn't know any professor so I just asked my Advisor and he said it was ok to work for him
  4. brianm74

    brianm74 Member 7+ Year Member

    Mar 1, 2002
    Probably the best way to find out what research to do is to decide for yourself what you are interested in. Are you interested in zoology and mammalogy or are you interested in immunology, microbiology, or molecular bio. There are many different areas of biology research in which to get involved.
    Once you decide on what you would like to do, then just hop on the internet on the college's web page. Most schools have a faculty page (in the Biology department) where you can see who is doing work in the area you are interested in. Then, just contact that professor and tell him/her that you want to gain some research experience. Most professors are happy to have you in their lab.
  5. moe

    moe Junior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 22, 2002
    DMD, I agree with most of what was said above. I know a little bit about this b/c I am currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular biology, but I will be leaving the program this summer to attend Dental school in the fall. In my opinion you should look on the faculty page and see which of the professor's work interest you. Then after you have decide what you might like to pursue, go talk to those professors. They will be more then happy to talk with you and probably give you a spot in their lab. The main reason for this is simple. Undergrad students equal free labor. My lab always has at least two or three undergrads at a time. The more you have the more you can get accomplished without having to hire a technician, kinda expensive, or having to support another grad student, about 20K a year. So in my opinion, you should have no problem getting a research position if you take it upon yourself to go talk to a professor. Professors love to get new students interested in research and they also love free labor.
  6. dmd1272

    dmd1272 Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 28, 2002
    Thanks Moe and Brianm74, I appreciate your insights on this topic, I'll follow your advice, thanks again both of you.... :D :D :D
  7. tinker bell

    tinker bell 1K Member 7+ Year Member

    Oct 18, 2001
    vallejo, CA
    I think that moe is right. Just find out what interest you the most, then find a prof in that field and come up to him and offer free labor. Make sure to check out the lab and the people in there first. Things like whether those lab staff are nice and friendly. Who will in charge of teaching, training you. If you get to work with a smart cookie, you'll learn a lot......

Share This Page