Research Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texaspremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be doing a research project relating the medical profession and my major of sociology. I was thinking of something along the lines of hospital admissions based on variables such as age, sex, race, city size, family size, income, etc. Does anyone have any ideas of perhaps something more interesting or any opinions? I have about 4 months to work on it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be doing a research project relating the medical profession and my major of sociology. I was thinking of something along the lines of hospital admissions based on variables such as age, sex, race, city size, family size, income, etc. Does anyone have any ideas of perhaps something more interesting or any opinions? I have about 4 months to work on it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

What about finding correlations between people who are...

insured vs non-insured and the types of procedures that require them to be admitted.

+pissed+

I've never had a sociology class, but I have had plenty of anthropology courses.

Are you going to be doing in depth interviewing like an ethnography or are you going to do surveys and statistics. Like I said, I think that interviews are far better in order to get better information.

Anyway, you can do something with minorities and drug use, pain, general health, or something like that. However, I'm not sure how much access you are going to have to patients considering you probably don't have any research clearance and you would probably be seen as an annoyance.

Short answer... Arm-Chair research is much easier, but I'm not sure you will be able to get away with that.

If you can spice it up, I would look at hospital admits for mental illness that correlate with a significant co-morbidity:

i.e.
cancer
heart disease
drug abuse
etc.