Research: Helpful for a Canadian IMG coming back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currenly a 2nd year med student at an Aussie Med School. When I'm finished my degree here, I'm looking to come back to Canada and train in either Manitoba or Alberta (I'm from Edmonton).

I know that research and publications can significantly help an applicant match into a US residency (especially the competitive fields), and I was wondering if this is the same in Canada. I'm thinking more and more that I want to shoot for a surgery residency of some sort, so ideally I want to be as competitive as possible. I figure if I'm going to get any type of research done, now is the time. Is it worth the time and effort though? I do have some undergrad research experience (have presented a poster based on my research, but no pubs :( ).

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currenly a 2nd year med student at an Aussie Med School. When I'm finished my degree here, I'm looking to come back to Canada and train in either Manitoba or Alberta (I'm from Edmonton).

I know that research and publications can significantly help an applicant match into a US residency (especially the competitive fields), and I was wondering if this is the same in Canada. I'm thinking more and more that I want to shoot for a surgery residency of some sort, so ideally I want to be as competitive as possible. I figure if I'm going to get any type of research done, now is the time. Is it worth the time and effort though? I do have some undergrad research experience (have presented a poster based on my research, but no pubs :( ).

Thoughts?

Try sending an email/letter to a program director in the postgrad offices, and ask about that. You might get a great response.