Research important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrd7889

Accepted!!
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did research for about a year but was never published or anything. I know that some medical schools require you to do research while you're enrolled. Should I avoid applying to those? Or do you think my chances are still okay?

Members don't see this ad.

I did research for about a year but was never published or anything. I know that some medical schools require you to do research while you're enrolled. Should I avoid applying to those? Or do you think my chances are still okay?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

#notabigdeal

Schools want to see that you are curious and have been interested in being engaged in research and then done it. If no publication came of it while you were an undergrad, that's not a concern unless you are trying to be admitted to a PhD program (MD/PhD).

Most MD students don't publish the research done as part of their MD degree program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's OK. It's hard enough for grad students and post-docs to publish.
I did research for about a year but was never published or anything.

No.
I know that some medical schools require you to do research while you're enrolled. Should I avoid applying to those?

Your GPA and other ECs will determine that.
Or do you think my chances are still okay?

#notabigdeal

Schools want to see that you are curious and have been interested in being engaged in research and then done it. If no publication came of it while you were an undergrad, that's not a concern unless you are trying to be admitted to a PhD program (MD/PhD).

Most MD students don't publish the research done as part of their MD degree program.

And even then it's certainly not expected of applicants. This no big deal, OP. A year of research is fine.

Under "Year Two" Title

http://keck.usc.edu/education/student-services/student-research-opportunities/

I think one example is enough to prove my point
Some schools have required research embedded in their curriculum
This is definitely true lol

Stanford, U of Arizona, Case Western, Mayo, U of Vermont, and that's off the top of my head.

looks like i misread that part of the OP.

given the context, i read it as "some medical schools require you to do research while you're enrolled prior to applying", because the rest of the post was discussing about applying to medical school and not so much on doing research in medical school.

i realize that several medical schools have required research in their curriculum. and of course, not being published doesn't prevent anyone from applying to research-focused schools.