Research in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggietxdent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an experience/opinions on doing research in Dental school? I did extensive work in a molecular bio lab in undergrad for 2 years and one of my interviewers at TAMU was actually the head of the research department. He told me they do have programs for D0 student to do research the summer before school starts (Don't really want anyone saying I should just chill and travel before school starts. I might do that but this would also be an option). What would be the benefits of doing research? Anyone who has done it, it would be great to hear any personal experiences as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the process of getting a team together and project to research. If you are interested, I'd go to faculty and ask them for any opportunities. I've found that bringing them research ideas isn't that effective... we've been bounced from faculty head to faculty head because our research ideas are outside their scope. Email and meet with faculty and you'll find something to research under their guidance.

Certain specialties favor research. The one I'm pursuing doesn't that much but I'd like to contribute a bit before I graduate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
my school offered summer research before d1. It was a a lot of fun, we would do research (benchwork) then all of us would go out later at night. Got to meet classmates before we began and got used to the dental school building. Research became too much of a burden though as I had to focus on studies/ working on my handskills so i gave up on it. Though some of my friends are still involved even as D4s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an experience/opinions on doing research in Dental school? I did extensive work in a molecular bio lab in undergrad for 2 years and one of my interviewers at TAMU was actually the head of the research department. He told me they do have programs for D0 student to do research the summer before school starts (Don't really want anyone saying I should just chill and travel before school starts. I might do that but this would also be an option). What would be the benefits of doing research? Anyone who has done it, it would be great to hear any personal experiences as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did summer research at my dental school before matriculating. I did it because I didn't have any prior research experience, and it helped me gain the experience needed to really choose the lab I wanted to be in for the following summer. If I had been in your position with 2 years of prior research experience, I wouldn't have done it, nor would I recommend it.

@ncide Are you part of a research track program? Just curious.

@ncide Are you part of a research track program? Just curious.

No I just asked a couple of classmates if they were interested in researching something with me (GSK3 antagonist), and they said yeah... so far research into the drug is very promising for dentin regeneration.

I have a younger brother who had his research all over the news so I gotta one up him. :yeahright:

Reactions: 4 users
No I just asked a couple of classmates if they were interested in researching something with me (GSK3 antagonist), and they said yeah... so far research into the drug is very promising for dentin regeneration.

I have a younger brother who had his research all over the news so I gotta one up him. :yeahright:
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep39654

Wow that does seem promising!