research in DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive been looking around the forums and have noticed that some students at DO schools are able to pump out 5, 6,7+ publications many of which are surgical or tailored to the field they would like to enter. I dont know about other schools but the DO shcool i go to good research is hard to come by and the closest big university/hospital is a few hours away. I would love to hear any input as to how anyone has done research (surgical research would be even better) while at a DO school that is limited in their resources. Also any tips for doing research wile OMS-2? appreciate the help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
During pre-clinical years it's harder, you might get 1 or 2 research projects done if you're proactive and always looking for opportunities at nearby facilities. During clinical years, I think it is when you'll have the most opportunities to get some publications especially if you're at big/academic Hospital and/or one that has residency programs affiliated with it. It still requires you to be proactive, but you can easily get 3-4 publications out in the form of case reports or get tagged along into papers for helping some residents with data or other technicalities. Case reports are the easiest to publish. You'll just need to be on the look out for interesting cases and have a preceptor/faculty that is willing to help out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
During pre-clinical years it's harder, you might get 1 or 2 research projects done if you're proactive and always looking for opportunities at nearby facilities. During clinical years, I think it is when you'll have the most opportunities to get some publications especially if you're at big/academic Hospital and/or one that has residency programs affiliated with it. It still requires you to be proactive, but you can easily get 3-4 publications in form of case reports or get tagged along into papers for helping some residents with data or other technicalities. Case reports are the easiest to publish. You'll just need to be on the look out for interesting cases and have a preceptor/faculty that is willing to help out.

Exactly. Easiest thing to do would to find some residents during your clinicals that need help with research. Or case reports, students are always on the prowl. If you find something interesting, bring it up to an Attending that you think would be interested. Even if the case you find is a dud, it will put you on their radar for future reports they may want to do and need help. As the good Dr Strange said, you have to be proactive.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Start with the programs in the specialty you're interested in.
2. Email 100+ program coordinators and residents (my rate is about 3-5% respond); looking at faculty and expressing interest in a particular project is also a good idea
3. Ask faculty at your school and friends/family if they know anyone who knows someone who knows someone - a minor connection is still a connection
4. Read papers you're interested in and do your own review

Reactions: 4 users
1. Pre-clinical is the best time to do research. You need to be reaching out to any "nearby" residency programs and ask if they have any projects a med student could help on remotely. In my experience residents are always happy to have a grunt doing the dirty work. You have less control over your schedule during rotations. I would not bank on getting research during rotations. Everyone I know that adopted this strategy has been significantly disappointed in their output.

2. Case reports are not valued very highly. 1 actual publication will go a lot farther than multiple case reports. I would only do case reports as a last resort.

To get quality research as a DO you have to be constantly reaching out hunting for opportunities.

Reactions: 9 users
1. Pre-clinical is the best time to do research. You need to be reaching out to any "nearby" residency programs and ask if they have any projects a med student could help on remotely. In my experience residents are always happy to have a grunt doing the dirty work. You have less control over your schedule during rotations. I would not bank on getting research during rotations. Everyone I know that adopted this strategy has been significantly disappointed in their output.

2. Case reports are not valued very highly. 1 actual publication will go a lot farther than multiple case reports. I would only do case reports as a last resort.

To get quality research as a DO you have to be constantly reaching out hunting for opportunities.
appreciate the advice, i have started to do this but finding the emails of the residents on many websites is harder than it looks, the best i can find is PDs or associated faculty, would asking them if they had anything or asking if any of their residents had anything be inappropriate

appreciate the advice, i have started to do this but finding the emails of the residents on many websites is harder than it looks, the best i can find is PDs or associated faculty, would asking them if they had anything or asking if any of their residents had anything be inappropriate

Program Coordinators

Reactions: 3 users
1. Start with the programs in the specialty you're interested in.
2. Email 100+ program coordinators and residents (my rate is about 3-5% respond); looking at faculty and expressing interest in a particular project is also a good idea
3. Ask faculty at your school and friends/family if they know anyone who knows someone who knows someone - a minor connection is still a connection
4. Read papers you're interested in and do your own review
My school explicitly told us to not do this...do PDs mind if we cold email them like this?

My school explicitly told us to not do this...do PDs mind if we cold email them like this?

Yeah like I mention above, I wouldn't email PD's. Email the program coordinators.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree wirh Grey, clinical research is weighted heavier than case reports. Having said that, they won't hurt your app, maybe enhance it a little, especially if you also have a clinical research project. If you can network with a radiologist, they can contact you when weird stuff comes in. Weird stuff comes in all the time and you can submit a case report.. Secondly, there might be educational research you can do at your med school. Not powerful studies, but its a publication. I think the hardest part is finding a mentor to help you design the study. It get easier once you have a mentor. Hopefully they are not too far from your school.

awesome thats the response ive been looking for for quite some time, appreciate it

Ask the program coordinators to get you in contact with specific residents if possible (optimally the one doing their research year if they have one) or with faculty/researchers doing work you're interested in. Show initiative. Ultimately never say no to a project even if you don't know how to do something. Be humble, seek advice, and figure it out.

Yeah if between getting involved in a review, trial, etc and a case report, obviously choose the former. But, you’ll be writing case reports often to meet your publishing requirements in residency and many residents/faculty love having them written for them. Plus, they sometimes don’t need an IRB (but make sure by asking the research liaison because you may need to get an exempt designation for non human subjects research, also some journals like to have it). So it might not get you a lot of turned heads from they research itself but could help you build relationships, show you’re dependable, and help you in the research writing arena which is a skill in itself. If someone sets a deadline, get it in earlier than that. Tell them you’ll send the manuscript in two weeks and then actually send it in one.

Speaking from my experience this summer between OMS1 & OMS2:

For SOSA we have a running list of graduated residents from all of our campuses and their matches/advice/contact info. I started at the top and emailed them asking if they needed a medical student to assist with any research projects. First one to get back to me was a neurosurgery resident (they stay doing research) who needed a lit review for a paper. Put in 2 full days of work (probably 10 hours each day in total) and the 3 page review I was able to craft had 41 sources. The resident liked the work and said he would put my name on the paper he needed the review for. (+1 pub for me).

I have some other reviews and case reports lined up as well. Its nothing to write home about , but its a start. I can see how some people become very proficient at getting their name on projects. I never bothered looking for opportunities within my school, I figured a lot of the other students were already swarming the professors.

With some persistence you can find a resident in need.

Reactions: 2 users
I have reached 10+ for research opportunities even including alumni and the professor from my school, not even single one got back to me... what else can I do, can i email residents or program director directly (no coordinator got back to me)? I thought I had decent past research experiences (grants + pubs + presentations) but these people don't even bother to take a look?

If you are at a facility with residents, reach out to the residents. They are HUNGRY for scut-monkeys. You will exchange pain staking labor to do all their research work for your name SOMEWHERE on their paper/poster/graffiti on toilet wall.