• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Research in health economics and business

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
  1. Medical Student
    If anyone conducts any research in health economics or the business side of medicine, please post here as I would like to ask some questions. I want to know how med schools perceive this kind of research, not only as an undergrad but also as a medical student, and beyond. It's not what comes to mind when the word "research" is mentioned, but I think it is just as important and interesting for a certain type of person, like myself and some others out there.

i have important interviews coming up and i would love to broach the subject, but i dont know how open interviewers will be to this kind of alternative research. i dont want them thinking im anti scientific research, as thats not the case and ive done some as an undergrad, but i find economic research more appealing and id like to do it. caveat: at the expense of scientific research since there are only 24 hours in a day. i know top institutions build their reputations on research (scientific?), so i want to be careful about this issue. let me know, and thanks in advance

Shredder

User
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Dec 14, 2004
    1. Medical Student
      BrettBatchelor said:
      I met with my mentor today and she said that a project in business and rad-onc might be a good topic.
      this guys representative publications are good examples
      http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/faculty/asch.html

i do think however that its harder (in terms of availability) to conduct this type of thing as an undergrad, maybe as a med student too. or maybe ive been too brainwashed into a scientific mindset over the years, not sure

i think its safe to say its not the common route, which could be good or bad, and thats what im wondering. i emailed this guy at penn and he said its perfectly acceptable and penn's proud of it :)

btw brett let me know how that comes along, intriguing

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Mar 8, 2005
        It's a good thing. Professor Asch does both clinical work and academic research work, so he's a good example of how the two can work together. An even better example is Professor Silber, he's at CHOP and does quality/outcomes stuff. PM me if you have questions

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.