SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Research in hospital attire

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by degoo_, Apr 22, 2007.

1. degoo_

degoo_ 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Ontario
    I am starting work in a hospital soon. I'll be working in an office primarily, at a desk/computer, not a lab bench. I was wondering what typical premed/student attire is in the hospitals. When I had my interview I wore dress pants and shirt, but I'm a shorts/t-shirt guy, will ride my bike, and its very hot here in the summer and I don't feel like wearing pants.
    Is there a general dress code within the hospital?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RokChalkJayhawk

RokChalkJayhawk Muck Fizzou 2+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Yes. I don't think a t-shirt and shorts are appropriate. I think slacks and a polo/collared shirt are the bare minimum for attire outside of patient care position. Sadly- you won't get to wear scrubs really.

4. joshinjosh

joshinjosh 5+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2005
    why don't you ask your employer/supervisor?

josh

5. Strongbow

Strongbow 5+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2007
    jeans=fine
    shorts=not

I typically wear khaki pants and a dress shirt or polo

Will you work with patients? If yes, dress nicer.

6. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2005
    N'awlins
    generally buisiness casual seems to be the uniform if not in scrubs. Shorts and t-shirt not so much. Close toed shoes can be required.

Maybe you can bike in and change, you would need some excessively non wrinkle clothing to pull off carrying them in a backpack tho . . .

7. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    I generally wear jeans, but then again I am usually buried in the back of the animal lab. For most labs and hospitals, long pants and close-toed shoes are usually required (scrubs are cool enough in summer)...but since none of us even know where you are working, your boss is the best person to help you out.

8. degoo_

degoo_ 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Ontario
    I'm working in an office very close to where all the residents and doctors offices are. I assume I'll have zero patient interaction, although I do plan to ask to observe some surgeries etc.
    I will certainly ask my boss, but it seems odd to me to email her asking about the attire, so I'm wondering about the first day. Guess slacks and a polo it is.

9. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days... 10+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    ask your boss. if you aren't in a position where you work with patients or patients don't even see you, it may be ok.

10. nabs86

nabs86 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Not to take over your thread, but this is along the same lines...what should girls wear for such a position? I will also be working in an office with no patient contact. High heels aren't my thing. Any suggestions?