Research in Med school, but don't know what residency you're aiming for yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted EDP and I start medical school in August 2010. I happen to be quite the planner. I plan ahead for just about everything. I am a very research oriented person and I truly enjoy research, so I know I will try to do research in medical school (prob summer between 1st and 2nd year, or whenever it's possible). Although this is incredibly far away, I still wanted to ask : since very competative residencies (derm, ortho, etc) almost require you to do research in medical school, what kind of research should you get involved in if you don't know what kind of residency you hope to attain, but you want to keep your options open for competative residencies? Should you just try to find "basic science" research labs, or is there something general that you should attempt to do research in that would still help you for residency, but also keep your options open? Basically, if you don't know that you want to do derm/ optho/ortho until 3rd year, but you want to do research after 1st year, what can you do in research to help you get a competative residency, if you don't know what you are aiming for yet?

Long question...sorry haha. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would only do clinical research if I were you. Clinical research is easier to publish and more fun IMO. I would choose the most competitive field that you are interested in and do research there. Residency directors know that not everyone is 100% positive on what field they want to go into when med school begins. Just showing that you can do research, are familiar with research, and have published before is enough.

It is only 1 example, but: A guy who graduated from my school matched neurosurgery at Mayo. He had 0 neurosurgery research. However, he did publish 20+ papers in anesthesia.

I would only do clinical research if I were you. Clinical research is easier to publish and more fun IMO. I would choose the most competitive field that you are interested in and do research there. Residency directors know that not everyone is 100% positive on what field they want to go into when med school begins. Just showing that you can do research, are familiar with research, and have published before is enough.

It is only 1 example, but: A guy who graduated from my school matched neurosurgery at Mayo. He had 0 neurosurgery research. However, he did publish 20+ papers in anesthesia.

:thumbup:

Research in your field > research overall > no research

Members don't see this ad :)
Basic science is harder to publish, so its worth more. Willing to risk it?

Research in your field > research overall > no research

Honestly, I think the difference between research "in your field" and other fields is so negligible that it's not worth worrying about.

research > no research

But yeah, basic science is much, much harder that clinical research, both to carry out and to publish. I don't think that effort scales linearly into props for residency applications, but it's probably worth a little more. In my experience, clinical research invariably involves you working on someone else's project, or a closely related side project. With basic research you can really work on something independently, which makes for better interview conversation in any case.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the difference between research "in your field" and other fields is so negligible that it's not worth worrying about.

research > no research

I agree that it's not worth worrying which field you are going into. If what research you do now in random field X and then in 3 years you decide to go into field X, your research looks that much better.

I've had 2 ortho PD tell me that this is how they view research:

ortho research > random research > no research

Also, they said that it's not important to be published 20 times, as that is usually out of your control, but they like to see you be involved in research.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to do two projects in two different fields? i.e. one clinical research project in ortho and one in anesthesia during the summer between m1 and m2 if debating between fields? Are there also any positives to say doing anaestesia research, but then decide to go into ortho? Do resendencies view this as even a bigger committment to the field as the student has explored other fields (anesthesia) and found (ortho) to be the correct fit.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to do two projects in two different fields? i.e. one clinical research project in ortho and one in anesthesia during the summer between m1 and m2 if debating between fields? Are there also any positives to say doing anaestesia research, but then decide to go into ortho? Do resendencies view this as even a bigger committment to the field as the student has explored other fields (anesthesia) and found (ortho) to be the correct fit.

The more research the better, but be INVOLVED in both projects so that you can talk about them during interviews. If you have 10 projects with your name on it, but have no idea what was going on then that looks pretty ****ty then the guy with 2 projects but can talk about them forward and backwards as undoubtedly your research will come up during an iview.

I agree that it's not worth worrying which field you are going into. If what research you do now in random field X and then in 3 years you decide to go into field X, your research looks that much better.

I've had 2 ortho PD tell me that this is how they view research:

ortho research > random research > no research

Also, they said that it's not important to be published 20 times, as that is usually out of your control, but they like to see you be involved in research.

great advice, thanks a lot for the info everyone!

Also great advice. Is there any time besides the summer between M1 and M2 that you can get involved in research?

Also great advice. Is there any time besides the summer between M1 and M2 that you can get involved in research?

Summer M1-M2
During M2
Electives M3-M4

Your best bet is Summer M1-M2 as you have the most time, can get involved in a project from start to hopefully finish, while M3-M4 would probably be more on the lines of a clinical project that takes 1 month.

You always can help out the PhDs in your school during M2. I know they look for students to help and it usually involved less then 10 hours per week.

During my summer between M1/M2 I painted houses and got drunk. I matched into ortho. Just sayin'.

REAL ANSWER: Do what you're interested in and stop worrying about what you *may* like in 3 years.

Summer M1-M2
During M2
Electives M3-M4

Your best bet is Summer M1-M2 as you have the most time, can get involved in a project from start to hopefully finish, while M3-M4 would probably be more on the lines of a clinical project that takes 1 month.

You always can help out the PhDs in your school during M2. I know they look for students to help and it usually involved less then 10 hours per week.

Thanks ChiDO! You have been a lot of help.

, I still wanted to ask : since very competative residencies (derm, ortho, etc) almost require you to do research in medical school, !
I disagree... the only residency where research is really required is Radiation-Oncology

I'm assuming that what he meant by getting a PhD is that with the amount of research you need to do to get into RadOnc would in the end be sufficient to get your PhD typically... aka sarcasm

I'm assuming that what he meant by getting a PhD is that with the amount of research you need to do to get into RadOnc would in the end be sufficient to get your PhD typically... aka sarcasm

Actually, I'm pretty sure that more residents have a PhD before entering Rad-onc than any other specialty. However, I've never known what their area of focus was whenever this was the case.

Rather than doing what you think will "look good", I would really recommend going for what interests you. Not only will you enjoy it more, but you're likely to be more dedicated and do a better job. And hey, when you're interviewing or something, if you're talknig about it and you sound like you're about ready to fall asleep, that probably won't look as good as if you're really into it. What are you interested in? Find someone doing somethig that you think sounds really cool, and go for it.