Research in med school with no research background in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1017749

Hi everyone!

I've been really fortunate to have an acceptance this stage in the game, and I've started to think about what I would want to pursue in school. I realized that the specialties I'm interested in would need some research, but the issue is that I've never done any sort of research in college. Are there any resources you could recommend for me to get a grasp on stats or research methods to get some basis before I start in the fall? I don't want to enter med school completely clueless on the subject. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Read, read, read literature....most of the actual experimental methods should not be too foreign if you've taken the prerequisites and 1 quantitative biology course and statistics course, even for basic sciences!

Reactions: 1 users
doodlebot said:
Hi everyone!

I've been really fortunate to have an acceptance this stage in the game, and I've started to think about what I would want to pursue in school. I realized that the specialties I'm interested in would need some research, but the issue is that I've never done any sort of research in college. Are there any resources you could recommend for me to get a grasp on stats or research methods to get some basis before I start in the fall? I don't want to enter med school completely clueless on the subject. Thanks!
I would take a stats course and try to relax. Most research is on the job training.

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of research are you thinking and in what field? If you're thinking some type of bench work, your best bet is to just read a couple papers and then later learn on the job. If you're thinking clinical research, I highly suggest learning how to use redcap (a type of database program) and advanced statistic software such as SPSS. That in itself should make you marketable since basically all the PI has to do is give you a direction and let you do all the data mining, database building, statistical analysis, and of course most of the paper. That's basically what I did and I'm practically swimming in publications.

What type of research are you thinking and in what field? If you're thinking some type of bench work, your best bet is to just read a couple papers and then later learn on the job. If you're thinking clinical research, I highly suggest learning how to use redcap (a type of database program) and advanced statistic software such as SPSS. That in itself should make you marketable since basically all the PI has to do is give you a direction and let you do all the data mining, database building, statistical analysis, and of course most of the paper. That's basically what I did and I'm practically swimming in publications.
Agree with this and at the same time, most research only requires basic to intermediate knowledge of Excel. Most important is being able to make and interpret different types of graphs. Srsly