Research in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ob_dc22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong research background and would like to continue research in medical school. My current PI publishes a lot and gives me lots of opportunities to publish, however while I am interested in the research and writing, I'm fairly confident this isn't a field I would like to pursue. That being said, I'm not sure which field I want to go in to yet.

I was offered to the opportunity to stay on with this PI throughout medical school (summers, remote part-time work for writing) and I'm wondering how much research in the field is weighted versus research and a strong publication record in a different field for residency applications specifically for competitive fields like neurosurgery. I know a strong research background can set you a part for residency, but does it have to be in the field you are entering? Would it be more beneficial to start with a different PI where I may not get published as much/at all but may be more likely to be in a field I am going to enter?

Thanks in advance for any advice/input

Members don't see this ad.

Part of me wants to say do what you're passionate about, but another part of me wants to say that you should stick around and get a few pubs at least. As someone who busts his butt in lab by regularly running experiments past 10 PM every day, constantly coming in even during weekends and breaks, and has a PI who is super apprehensive to publish at all, I would give anything to have my name on a paper. Don't minimize the importance of having a PI who actually recognizes the importance of publishing and is willing to put your name on papers. You can always switch after you get a few papers under your belt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of me wants to say do what you're passionate about, but another part of me wants to say that you should stick around and get a few pubs at least. As someone who busts his butt in lab by regularly running experiments past 10 PM every day, constantly coming in even during weekends and breaks, and has a PI who is super apprehensive to publish at all, I would give anything to have my name on a paper. Don't minimize the importance of having a PI who actually recognizes the importance of publishing and is willing to put your name on papers. You can always switch after you get a few papers under your belt.
Why are you killing yourself in this lab if your PI doesn’t want to publish?

Reactions: 3 users