Research In Medical School !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbound786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in doing research while in medical school. However, I was wondering when do medical students actually do lab or clinical research? Is it during their basic science years (how can they afford the time in this case?) OR do they do it during the summer after 1st and 2nd years (how do they get a publication in such cases since the time is so short?).

Any input would be very appreciated !

Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

BTW, does anyone know which university offers an incredible Human Genome research experience? I cannot find one anywhere...the internet is such a difficult place to navigate!

Medbound786 said:
I am really interested in doing research while in medical school. However, I was wondering when do medical students actually do lab or clinical research? Is it during their basic science years (how can they afford the time in this case?) OR do they do it during the summer after 1st and 2nd years (how do they get a publication in such cases since the time is so short?).

Any input would be very appreciated !

Thanks !!

It depends on where you go. At some big research schools with light classroom hours (Harvard, Yale) people sometimes do research for the first two years along with classes. However, the most common time for research is the summer between 1st and 2nd year at almost all schools. You generally don't get a long summer between 2nd and 3rd years. I'm not really sure how people publish in such a short time. At many schools, you can also take a research elective during your clinical years and spend some time doing research then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most publications in med school are clinical case reports. I think you need a really productive summer lab rotation or two to manage an actual scientific publication though.

potato51 said:
I think most publications in med school are clinical case reports. I think you need a really productive summer lab rotation or two to manage an actual scientific publication though.

So I guess if you want a nice sciency bench work publication, get it done in these last few months of ugrad... :laugh:

Mayo has a research component built into their curriculum...essentially you have to spend a semester working on an independent research project. Other than that most people do summer research...most medical schools have funding available for those who are interested and I know some people end up extending this research into medical school doing a few hours of work here and there (generally their PIs will pay them an hourly wage to help get them some spending money for their effort).