Research in military internal medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. OMS I and HPSP recipient here looking into different specialties. From my understanding and research on this forum, there is a significant lack of research in the military. That is okay with me as I do not plan to do research for part of my career. However, what I couldn’t find was if there are research opportunities during military residency, specifically internal medicine. I would love to do a military residency as it pays more, however what if I want to do a little research during this time to try and enhance my competitiveness for a civilian fellowship when I get out after my four year obligation? If this is the case should I try to apply for civilian deferment? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean I’m not a doctor yet but I go to USUHS and there are tons of opportunities for research. I’ve been in med school for 2 months and am on 2 projects already. My friend has turned down 3 because he was already doing stuff. I’m not sure how much opportunity there is outside of gme, but there’s definitely stuff going on in gme world.

Reactions: 1 user
Most active duty residencies have research opportunities for those who want to take them. Outside of GME locations it will be location specific. Some may have well established resources for research, others you will have to set up yourself.

As discussed in previous threads, they aren’t Harvard or Yale level research programs, but the opportunities are there to do research. You may just have to do a lot of the leg work.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, there are opportunities to do minor research and that is all anyone has from residency really.

But, you are a DO who wants a (competitive?) allopathic fellowship. If they still exist in the .mil when you get there, your chances will be much better inside the system than after. The opportunity part is TBD.

So, there are opportunities to do minor research and that is all anyone has from residency really.

But, you are a DO who wants a (competitive?) allopathic fellowship. If they still exist in the .mil when you get there, your chances will be much better inside the system than after. The opportunity part is TBD.
Right now I’ve had an increasing interest in plum/CC. What is the competitiveness like for this speciality in the civilian world?

To answer your original question: My advice is plan for and shoot for an active duty residency. Students taking the HPSP or an acceptance at USUHS should NOT have a goal of a civilian deferment in my opinion. Here is why:

#1 If you wanted access to top tiered residency programs (Johns Hopkins / Harvard level) then you should have stayed a civilian and bet the odds
#2 Military residency better prepares you for your time as a staff Military Physician paying back your time.
#3 Active Duty residencies are all ACGME accredited and provide a solid education to meet the standards required for board certification. You will have plenty of research available to you. If you aim for a deferment and don't get it then you will feel robbed of a "better education". This feeling of anger will jade your 4 years of payback which can cause apathy and lessen your contribution during active duty time. This is what will negatively effect your future civilian fellowship application...not availability or non-availability of active duty research.
[Remember that deferments are given because the military has a higher need of said specialty than active duty residency spots can train. The top applicants in HPSP and USUHS are placed at the active duty residencies. The less qualified applicants are deferred to civilian residencies. Deferments are not awarded, they are given out to fill a need of the military]
#4 From my experience, most people getting out and applying to civilian fellowships say that their active duty time helped their application so long as they were making the most of their time by continuing to show personal and professional development.

As for availability of active duty Pulm/CC fellowship spots by the time you are eligible? Who knows?! At this point you can't change the fact that you are already in the HPSP system. You're already stuck so just maximize your time while you are in.

Hey everyone. OMS I and HPSP recipient here looking into different specialties. From my understanding and research on this forum, there is a significant lack of research in the military. That is okay with me as I do not plan to do research for part of my career. However, what I couldn’t find was if there are research opportunities during military residency, specifically internal medicine. I would love to do a military residency as it pays more, however what if I want to do a little research during this time to try and enhance my competitiveness for a civilian fellowship when I get out after my four year obligation? If this is the case should I try to apply for civilian deferment? Thanks!
Are you Army HPSP?

Army specific -
Civilian deferment for Internal Medicine residency is rare. Having reviewed the last 5 years of Army GME updates, there have been no IM residency civilian deferments - unless there was some sort of "Very extenuating family circumstances".

Recent years civilian deferment based on needs of the Army - EM, GS, and Ortho. These are likely funded, increasing the service obligation.

FYGME 2019

The DHA changes may impact military GME over the next years too.

Are you Army HPSP?

Army specific -
Civilian deferment for Internal Medicine residency is rare. Having reviewed the last 5 years of Army GME updates, there have been no IM residency civilian deferments - unless there was some sort of "Very extenuating family circumstances".

Recent years civilian deferment based on needs of the Army - EM, GS, and Ortho. These are likely funded, increasing the service obligation.

FYGME 2019

The DHA changes may impact military GME over the next years too.
I’m airforce HPSP!

To answer your original question: My advice is plan for and shoot for an active duty residency. Students taking the HPSP or an acceptance at USUHS should NOT have a goal of a civilian deferment in my opinion. Here is why:

#1 If you wanted access to top tiered residency programs (Johns Hopkins / Harvard level) then you should have stayed a civilian and bet the odds
#2 Military residency better prepares you for your time as a staff Military Physician paying back your time.
#3 Active Duty residencies are all ACGME accredited and provide a solid education to meet the standards required for board certification. You will have plenty of research available to you. If you aim for a deferment and don't get it then you will feel robbed of a "better education". This feeling of anger will jade your 4 years of payback which can cause apathy and lessen your contribution during active duty time. This is what will negatively effect your future civilian fellowship application...not availability or non-availability of active duty research.
[Remember that deferments are given because the military has a higher need of said specialty than active duty residency spots can train. The top applicants in HPSP and USUHS are placed at the active duty residencies. The less qualified applicants are deferred to civilian residencies. Deferments are not awarded, they are given out to fill a need of the military]
#4 From my experience, most people getting out and applying to civilian fellowships say that their active duty time helped their application so long as they were making the most of their time by continuing to show personal and professional development.

As for availability of active duty Pulm/CC fellowship spots by the time you are eligible? Who knows?! At this point you can't change the fact that you are already in the HPSP system. You're already stuck so just maximize your time while you are in.
Thanks for the I information! I’m not really interested in going to a top tier program. I would just be looking for a community program. Not sure if this changes things?