Research in undergrad counts for Ortho Application in future?

Feb 16, 2010
Status
I have read that Ortho specialty programs are very interested in seeing a dental student that has done research. Does this mean that my undergrad research would be sufficient? Or would it be in an Ortho-applicant's best interest to do research in dental school?

I am not sure if I will have the time to do research in dental school. However, this summer, I could do research before entering dental school in the fall. I do love research, I just worry about the huge commitment that comes along with it. Thank you.

Feb 16, 2010
Status
So do you advise taking opportunities in dental school for research or just sticking with my undergrad experience?

I have heard there's almost no time for research in dental school. I'm the kind of person that has to study really hard...so I probably won't really have a ton of time.

OG1

OrthoGunner #1
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status
So do you advise taking opportunities in dental school for research or just sticking with my undergrad experience?

I have heard there's almost no time for research in dental school. I'm the kind of person that has to study really hard...so I probably won't really have a ton of time.
The most important thing is class rank and board scores, by far. Research is just a check box and talking point; some people get into ortho without it, but I think it hurts you to not have any experience. I got asked at almost every interview to tell them about my research. Even doing something really small in dental school is enough to check it off your list. Try to find something that's a couple of hours a week at most if you can, just assisting somebody. There's time for that, an hour or two a week. You don't have to get published by any means.

Also, wait until second or even third year to get involved in research. I went for a tiered approach that worked well for me: focus completely on grades and board scores first year, take on minor class leadership second year, then dabble in research toward the end of second year and third year. All the while having a family with kids at home. A big mistake people make is biting off way more than they can chew, like running for class president first year - trying to be Mr./Ms. everything. I personally know people who wanted to do ortho or another specialty but did exactly that, tried to be everything at the start, but flamed out eventually (or quickly even) when the load became too much.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Status
The most important thing is class rank and board scores, by far. Research is just a check box and talking point; some people get into ortho without it, but I think it hurts you to not have any experience. I got asked at almost every interview to tell them about my research. Even doing something really small in dental school is enough to check it off your list. Try to find something that's a couple of hours a week at most if you can, just assisting somebody. There's time for that, an hour or two a week. You don't have to get published by any means.

Also, wait until second or even third year to get involved in research. I went for a tiered approach that worked well for me: focus completely on grades and board scores first year, take on minor class leadership second year, then dabble in research toward the end of second year and third year. All the while having a family with kids at home. A big mistake people make is biting off way more than they can chew, like running for class president first year - trying to be Mr./Ms. everything. I personally know people who wanted to do ortho or another specialty but did exactly that, tried to be everything at the start, but flamed out eventually (or quickly even) when the load became too much.

great advice. I will definitely take it! It's actually how I handled undergrad. I was overwhelmed with the easier classes (gen chem, ochem, etc). I didn't branch out into ECs until later than most because school was new to me.

I am going to skip research in dental school and just do it this summer. I found a cool opportunity that is dental related at my undergrad. something I cannot pass up!

Thank you so much. I PMed you with some more Qs since you're so very helpful :) Thanks!