research in various sub surgical specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am another M2 that has a research question. I am interested in a surgical specialty, but am unsure (interested in perhaps ENT, plastics, ortho, CT). I haven't taken step 1 yet, and therefore haven't narrowed down, nor have i done some of those respective rotations. But anyways, my question is that--does it hurt to have done research in various specialties (ex. plastics, CT and then go into ENT or vice versa, etc). I was able to get out 2 abstracts in CT surgery by spending the summer at a top5 school. I dont wanna sell myself short, so I am thinking about picking up a ENT or plastics project at the childrens hospital (reputable) at my home school. But, I guess i am concerned whether this will go against (likely not), or more importantly, not look as favorable vs. waste of time/no value if I don't decide to pursue that surgical specialty. What do you guys think? I have a meeting with the chief of plastics tomorrow regarding a project. But I have no idea whether i wanna go into that yet (nor am i certain that my board scores will make me a competetive candidate). Know what I am saying? I'd appreciate the input from older students/residents. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I hate doing research, any research is good research. BUT, CT will be a fellowship after general surgery residency while plastics (potentially) and ENT are matches straight out of medical school. If you're thinking ENT, I would attempt to do research in ENT. Those guys love that stuff when interviewing for potential residents. Ortho usually doesn't "require" research like ENT.

I guess I would probably attempt to do ENT or maybe plastics research if at all possible as these would likely help you sooner than later. Just do something you like or the research will be the bane of your existence.

Ortho likes research too.