research: inorganic or physcial/analytical chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktran411

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. it had come to my attention that there are research opportunities offered at my school. Only, the research topics are not directly related to pharmacy. well, im sure they are in a way, but i realize that they wont be as appealing on applications compared to helping out at a pharmacy or shadowing. in spite of that, i am still interested in trying out the research opportunities from the professors ive recently inquired. i am a second-year undergrad (at cal-state northridge. fyi. its not really acknowledged as a pharmacy-oriented school) still trying to finish my general science classes to meet the pharmacy pre-req. so i figure id use those next few college years to get my hands wet and try out what's offered at my school.

my advisor had mentioned that ANY type of experience is good, even if it's not pharmacy related. itd be highly recommended that i do, but it doesnt have to be entirely confined to that area of study. i consider myself to still be set on being a pharmacist, yet i just want to try new things and explore. one of my professors is doing research on catalysts based on transition metal complexes, while my other professor is doing research on surface chemistry/material analysis. which brings me to my main question: which research topic should i that would be MOST helpful down the road in the field of pharmacy, 1) inorganic chemistry? or 2) analytical/physical chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that both sound more like basic chemistry work (without knowing anything about them). I'd rather work on some sort of BioChemistry related projects because it's obviously directly/indirectly related to life, drugs, chemical and biological reactions, physiology and medicine. To me, this will give you at least some insight on the sort of work that is being done by pharm companies today. I work at a biotech company and usually school research projects like the stuff you mention doesn't come close to what real research is in the pharm industry. Just a tid bit!

Indirectly related to the practice of pharmacy. Directly related to helping you accel and further understand advanced coursework that you will take as a part of Pharmacy + your major.

Chemistry stuff is good too I guess, but If I had a choice I'd really much rather do something that touches on many subjects rather than one.

I would say probably analytic, though any of those could have relevance to pharmacy depending on what the project is. Really just do whatever interests you the most and you think you would have the best experience doing. I did a lot of neurobio and molecular bio research before pharm school, none of which pertained to pharmacy. I'm now in a pharmacy related lab and applying some of those techniques I learned earlier.

ok. so i looked into other research opportunities i came across a biochemistry professor who's working on signaling proteins. when she was briefing me on the topic, it was very hard for me to understand what she had to say. but in spite of that, she told me shell try to help me through it. very nice lady, indeed. but yeah. thanks baykillawhale. i think itll prove to be much more useful than the other potential subjects.

now im just concerned if i could juggle such research while trying to finish up my online pharmacy technician class. ive been reading the forums that you dont necessarily need to take the class to become certified. but i plan on taking the pharmacy tech exam in december. is there anything wrong with my priorities? people have mentioned you learned so much more for pharmacy opportunities but i need opinions. i already signed on my professor's lab but i could always hold off on it until i finish my online course.