Research Inquiry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently taking part in a research internship and at the culmination of our program we are presenting a poster at our university's symposium. Do you find poster presentations in university symposiums to be great as well, or do we have to present at a conference for it to be really worthwhile?

Also just wondering how would you rank the following based on what you value most in research:

1. Publication in a journal
2. Poster
3. Powerpoint presentation to faculty, staff, and students

Also if I have to make a poster AND give a separate talk to the entire science faculty and students in the college of science. How should I include both on my AMCAS?

@gyngyn @gonnif @WedgeDawg
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally: Publication > presentation > poster

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait but I though poster involves a presentation... so isn't it better than a normal presentation?
It depends. If it's the type of poster presentation where people walk around and some ask questions, then a presentation where everyone's attention is directed towards your project may be better.

A poster presented at a university symposium is something you could and should mention in your application, although regional and national conferences carry much more weight due to the selectivity and quality control.

It depends. If it's the type of poster presentation where people walk around and some ask questions, then a presentation where everyone's attention is directed towards your project may be better.

A poster presented at a university symposium is something you could and should mention in your application, although regional and national conferences carry much more weight due to the selectivity and quality control.

So basically what I did is I created a poster at my university symposium AND also a separate presentation to the whole college of letters and sciences research faculty. I don't know how exactly to phrase that in my app, cuz I did both!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Generally: Publication > presentation > poster

I wouldn't rank a presentation over a poster unless it was at a conference (e.g. an oral presentation).

So if I give an oral presentation at my university symposium is that better than giving a poster presentation at my university symposium?

I wouldn't consider it "better," OP. From the conferences I knew of, entering oral presentation is as easy as making a poster presentation. It was meant to give students another format to present their research, not necessary that one is better than another.

So if I give an oral presentation at my university symposium is that better than giving a poster presentation at my university symposium?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Because this is a university symposium, there isn't much of a difference between a poster and an oral presentation. Had this been at a meeting or national/international conference, an oral presentation would have been much more significant.