Medical Research Lab Choice Dilemma - smaller lab or bigger lab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between two research labs I could potentially join. I am interested in the research focuses of both.

One lab is very small, as in the website lists the PI, a lab manager and two grads. I believe that I would be able to more personally work with the PI/grads and get a stronger LOR here. However, the downside is that I doubt such a small lab has the resources to allow me to pursue any independent projects where I would be able to get a meaningful publication.

The other is large, as in 8-10+ grads. They seem to publish often and the undergrads are getting their names on papers. However, I'm concerned that in such a large lab I wouldn't be able to work as closely with the PI and that could result in a weaker LOR.

Which do you think would be more beneficial to my application long term? I have two years until I apply for med.

Thanks.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

This is a case where you just have to be up front and honest in your expectations. Talk to the small lab PI, ask about what your role would be and your ability to have input into the direction of the research and be included in publications. Let's also just be honest--as an undergrad, you are not going to really have any independence when you start out, if at all. I actually think you're less likely to have independence in the large lab, since the grad students will be eager to get your help and will direct you as much if not more than the small lab PI would.

Ultimately, as an undergrad your goal really should be to gain experience in research and figure out if it's something you're interested in. I would prioritize the lab that is going to have the day-to-day interactions that you will enjoy the most and where you are likely to get along well with the other lab members. If that pieces fits correctly, the other things will usually flow naturally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree. While publications are impressive, I feel that research going from undergrad to med school is more about getting the box checked off for hours spent doing research. Pub record gets more important when going from med school to residency/fellowship. While undergrad/pre-med school pubs will count here also (and they helped me for sure), you'll have time for that later.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between two research labs I could potentially join. I am interested in the research focuses of both.

One lab is very small, as in the website lists the PI, a lab manager and two grads. I believe that I would be able to more personally work with the PI/grads and get a stronger LOR here. However, the downside is that I doubt such a small lab has the resources to allow me to pursue any independent projects where I would be able to get a meaningful publication.

The other is large, as in 8-10+ grads. They seem to publish often and the undergrads are getting their names on papers. However, I'm concerned that in such a large lab I wouldn't be able to work as closely with the PI and that could result in a weaker LOR.

Which do you think would be more beneficial to my application long term? I have two years until I apply for med.

Thanks.
Go with the smaller lab

The other thing is that ADCOMs know that most of the time the undergraduate students involvement in projects is very minor. It's about putting in the time and learning the process that gets that box checked for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.