Research LOR dilemma

• Thread starter Deleted member 737595
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 737595

So I'm doing a six month full-time internship at a Biotech company in North Carolina doing some pretty cool research. I came in pretty underqualified because supply was low and demand high. I came in literally with just a year of intro Bio and first semester Orgo. Yet I have learned a lot in my time here and am starting to be able to independently run my own projects (small ones).

I work directly with my manager on a daily basis. He tells me what the agenda for the day is, what we will do in the lab, what we will be doing in the week. I work mostly in the lab and occasionally on PowerPoints. I've learned a ton and he told me that I am doing very well when we met about a month ago.

However, he also told me that his coworkers have told him that they see me sitting at my desk a lot not doing much. They also noticed that I study for the MCAT on my free time and don't seem interested in research and am only interested in my pre-med stuff. I sit a lot because when I am done with my work I have nothing to do, which I have told him. We had a good conversation about appearances and how people notice what others are doing in a company, that its not like school where no one cares what others do and each does his own thing. He told me to at least appear productive at my desk, read articles, learn more. He seemed a bit upset but not a lot, and he and I get along very well now and he reminds me about how useful I've been. We also talk on a regular basis about things going on in life, so we know each other pretty well and have a good relationship. His complaints seemed to be about how others viewed him in that if I wasn't doing a lot and that I should appear to be doing work and not doing other things unrelated like MCAT studying.

This internship ends in June and I think a letter of recommendation would be good to have from this job. Does this bump I had midway bad enough to not ask for a letter and be happy with the experience? Also, he has a language barrier.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would not risk asking for a LOR that may say something negative.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was me, I would sit down with him and explicitly ask if he would be able to write you a 'strong' letter -- then take it from there based on his response

On a side note, if you are done with your assignment (either because you are assigned few tasks, or you are super productive): 1. ask your supervisor for more things to do. This makes you appear very productive 2. if he/she says there isn't something imminent that you need to work on then you can study MCAT or do whatever you want, and won't appear negatively (now it's his/her fault that you don't have much work to do) 3. be spontaneous, work on things that has not been asked for, but may be useful in the future, and when the time comes, you can truly impress your boss. These tricks have helped me a lot at work.

Reactions: 1 user