Research LOR Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StritchMD2011

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done paid research in the same lab for two summers, and I voluntered during the school year about 5 hours a week. I'd like to ask the PI for a LOR, but I've heard a few horror stories about him writing individuals very mediocre and even poor LORs. I've never given him a reason to not like me, and I feel like I've been a hard-worker - but he's the type of guy who seems impossible to impress. I'm not sure I'd trust him to write me a strong letter...

My question is, would it be appropriate to ask the post-doc who I have worked very closely with for the last two summers for a LOR? I'm sure he'd write me a great one, and I've actually had much more interaction with him than with the lab's PI. He's not tenured, but has done research at the medical center for over 4 years now.

I think it would look bad if I didn't get some sort of LOR from my research, and I'm torn on what to do. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not going to count as a faculty letter anyway since the research wasn't for credit and you didn't get a grade in the class, so i'd go ahead and have the person who you feel could write the best letter write it. Since the post-doc is a phd also it should still carry some weight.

BKadow said:
I've done paid research in the same lab for two summers, and I voluntered during the school year about 5 hours a week. I'd like to ask the PI for a LOR, but I've heard a few horror stories about him writing individuals very mediocre and even poor LORs. I've never given him a reason to not like me, and I feel like I've been a hard-worker - but he's the type of guy who seems impossible to impress. I'm not sure I'd trust him to write me a strong letter...

My question is, would it be appropriate to ask the post-doc who I have worked very closely with for the last two summers for a LOR? I'm sure he'd write me a great one, and I've actually had much more interaction with him than with the lab's PI. He's not tenured, but has done research at the medical center for over 4 years now.

I think it would look bad if I didn't get some sort of LOR from my research, and I'm torn on what to do. Please help!

people have actually read their own LOR to verify this? weird! maybe it's just a myth...

hey, ask the opinion of a grad student in the lab...preferably one who's cool with you and won't rat you out.

if you have to, ask the post doc. but a faculty member would be preferable.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are right, not getting a letter from that lab might raise a few adcom eyebrows. Yet time and time again, I've heard that these committees would also much rather hear from your PI. A possible solution, however, would be to get the postdoc to write you a letter and have the PI sign it. You could justify this to your PI by saying that this postdoc has more closely observed your work in the lab and would be in a better position to comment on your strengths (and any weaknesses).

I agree. Get it co-signed. The slight decrease in "oomph" is more than made up for by a personal, highly positive, and well-written letter.

Astrithir said:
I agree. Get it co-signed. The slight decrease in "oomph" is more than made up for by a personal, highly positive, and well-written letter.

Yes. Get it co-signed. Definitely have the letter, but have the post-doc who knows you well and is a supporter write it. You never know, maybe the PI will add in some great stuff. :)

jackieMD2007 said:
Yes. Get it co-signed. Definitely have the letter, but have the post-doc who knows you well and is a supporter write it. You never know, maybe the PI will add in some great stuff. :)

I think I'll look into this. The only problem is that the post-doc's first language isn't English. He speaks english very well, but he commonly misspells things and uses odd word choices. I think I have the type of relationship with him, however, that I could ask him to have someone else in the lab proofread it.

The only thing I'm worried about is that my PI might resent the fact that I didn't directly ask him for a LOR, which would make it difficult to get it co-signed.

ask him directly whether he would write u a strong one

profs wont lie about that

added: obviously u have to ask nicely