Research LOR from PhD mentor for residency apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DS32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a M.D. candidate, and I'm currently deciding which professors I should ask for a LOR for residency apps. I've done lots of research with a P.I. who has a Ph.D., and this professor knows me very well and can speak about my research abilities as well as my personal qualities & work ethic very well.

I'm thinking about asking this person for a research LOR, but I'm not sure how residency committees will view a research letter from a Ph.D. mentor... Any M.D. folks out there who submitted a Ph.D. research LOR and can comment on this?
(I've also done some research with a M.D. professor, but the Ph.D. professor has known me for a very long time and knows my personal qualities a lot better.)

Any information & advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

What are you applying for? My advisor told me to have 3 clinical letters and that the 4th letter that is optional at most programs for me is more of a wild card and that my research letter could be for that. Research with a PhD still shows commitment to pursuit of knowledge, work ethic, etc.

But I know for psych specifically I need at least one from a psychiatrist and one from IM/FM. Just make sure you are meeting criteria for whatever you are applying for

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Bad idea.

If you yourself were a MD/PhD, it would be reasonable for you to have a LOR from your mentor even if that person were a PhD, but that's about the only circumstance.

What if you worked with an MD/PhD

The purpose of residency letters of recommendation is to comment on your suitability as a future resident and medical colleague. Thus someone without a medical degree and whom has never done a residency is in no place capable of rendering that recommendation.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't include it as a *extra* non-clinical letter (IF allowed; some programs specifically states the limit on letters ) and if you were applying for a research fellowship I would find it odd if you hadn't included a letter from your PI but those would be the only circumstances in which I think it would be appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far! Much appreciated!

I want to go into academic medicine, and I am applying for research-heavy residency programs. As I mentioned, I have worked with both a Ph.D. professor and a M.D. professor. So what is the general consensus about submitting a research LOR from the Ph.D. professor who has known me for a long time, knows my personal qualities and work ethic very well, and I have a couple publications with this person vs the M.D. professor who has known me for a shorter time and I have no publications with this person? I should mention that the M.D. professor is very well regarded in his field of work, but he has known me for a shorter time so his LOR may be more generic vs the LOR from the Ph.D. professor who can provide more specific personal insights

Thanks again!

I want to go into academic medicine, and I am applying for research-heavy residency programs. As I mentioned, I have worked with both a Ph.D. professor and a M.D. professor. So what is the general consensus about submitting a research LOR from the Ph.D. professor who has known me for a long time, knows my personal qualities and work ethic very well, and I have a couple publications with this person vs the M.D. professor who has known me for a shorter time and I have no publications with this person? I should mention that the M.D. professor is very well regarded in his field of work, but he has known me for a shorter time so his LOR may be more generic vs the LOR from the Ph.D. professor who can provide more specific personal insights

Thanks again!
It all really depends if you have 3 other letters and this is the optional 4th available to you at most places or if this is part of your core 3.

Thanks again!

It appears clear to me that you wish to include this letter. You've been told multiple times that the PhD letter is not appropriate. The above does not change our recommendation that all of your letters need to be from physicians.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't applied to residency yet but this is my general understanding:

Letter from Ph.D. "This student has good work ethic and good personal qualities" is read as "This student would be a great addition to your medical school program"
Letter from M.D. "This student has good work ethic and good personal qualities" is read as "This student is able to keep a level head under the gun on the wards, you should sponsor him for PGY-1 through however long"

Reactions: 1 user
I had 4 letters. 3 from MD's and 1 from a PhD who co-mentored me during my PhD. Worked out great.