Research LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeybee87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
So I want to ask the graduate student I work under for a LOR. I’m still a little confused on this process though.

1) Should I ask him to have the PI co-sign it (I will also let the PI know about this in advance)? Does this come off as rude, and if so, how can I ask for this without sounding rude?

2) On AMCAS, do I input the graduate student as the LOR writer, or the PI?

Members don't see this ad.

First ask the grad student
Then talk to the professor (perhaps with grad studebt) and ask, explain why you are suggesting to do it this way. The professor may suggest he/she will write it with input from grad student
Use prof name ss LOR writer
What should I ask the graduate student? Should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI sign it? Or should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI co-sign it? What’s the advantage of having the PI in the picture?

To piggyback on Honeybees question.
Could I ask one of the PI that I work with most to write the letter and have my second PI cosign it or something along those lines? The second PI is the editor-in-chief for American journal of primatology so I would think her title has more weight to it but I did not directly interact with her as much as the first.

What should I ask the graduate student? Should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI sign it? Or should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI co-sign it? What’s the advantage of having the PI in the picture?
@gonnif