Jan 8, 2019
So I want to ask the graduate student I work under for a LOR. I’m still a little confused on this process though.

1) Should I ask him to have the PI co-sign it (I will also let the PI know about this in advance)? Does this come off as rude, and if so, how can I ask for this without sounding rude?

2) On AMCAS, do I input the graduate student as the LOR writer, or the PI?

gonnif

Only 562 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
First ask the grad student
Then talk to the professor (perhaps with grad studebt) and ask, explain why you are suggesting to do it this way. The professor may suggest he/she will write it with input from grad student
Use prof name ss LOR writer

OP
H
Jan 8, 2019
Then talk to the professor (perhaps with grad studebt) and ask, explain why you are suggesting to do it this way. The professor may suggest he/she will write it with input from grad student
What should I ask the graduate student? Should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI sign it? Or should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI co-sign it? What’s the advantage of having the PI in the picture?

Mar 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
To piggyback on Honeybees question.
Could I ask one of the PI that I work with most to write the letter and have my second PI cosign it or something along those lines? The second PI is the editor-in-chief for American journal of primatology so I would think her title has more weight to it but I did not directly interact with her as much as the first.

Apr 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Wouldn't it be dishonest to put the PI's name as the LOR writer if he didn't write the letter?
If it isn't, does this mean my postdoc would have to submit his letter via mail? Because if he uses the online AMCAS Letter Writer Application Service, his AMCAS account information will differ from the PI's information I have listed as the letter writer?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
What should I ask the graduate student? Should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI sign it? Or should I ask him to write the letter and have the PI co-sign it? What’s the advantage of having the PI in the picture?
1) ask the graduate student if he/she will write a letter.
2) if so, then ask the PI if they will cosign
3) the advantage of having a Pi or other professor is that they have, in view of an adcom, the experience to evaluate a candidate. For example, a grad student may only be a few years removed from UG, may have only been TA, and has little if any experience with students. Saying you are the best student they have ever seen has little comparison. Where as a professor may have 20+ years of experience, taught thousands of students, and can say one of the top students had substance

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
To piggyback on Honeybees question.
Could I ask one of the PI that I work with most to write the letter and have my second PI cosign it or something along those lines? The second PI is the editor-in-chief for American journal of primatology so I would think her title has more weight to it but I did not directly interact with her as much as the first.
The title doesnt carry nearly much weight if the letter doesnt show evidence of a substantial relationship with details of your qualifications. In short, a generic letter from a “name” is worth just above a shadowing doctor. If you want to get a joint or cosigned letter that actually had substance, then its worth something,

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Wouldn't it be dishonest to put the PI's name as the LOR writer if he didn't write the letter?
If it isn't, does this mean my postdoc would have to submit his letter via mail? Because if he uses the online AMCAS Letter Writer Application Service, his AMCAS account information will differ from the PI's information I have listed as the letter writer?
The letter would be read and signed by PI, there by indicating they agree with eval. Whatever account it comes from is meaningless; it is the name you assign the letter and the names on the letter. Using cosigned name as author is perfectly fine