Research Masters or Course based+Co-op type Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnknownMedStudent

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently in fourth year and am thinking of completing a masters before re-applying to medical schools. I am interested in research as well as course based learning (in addition, some course based masters also have research components). Which option do you think would be more suited towards pursuing medical school laters (research masters vs. course based+Co-op masters)? Both masters would be 2 years long.

PS: I think a weakness if my current med school application is a lack of publications although I have done research for the past 3-4 years already.

Thank you very much for your opinion! It's great appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am currently in fourth year and am thinking of completing a masters before re-applying to medical schools. I am interested in research as well as course based learning (in addition, some course based masters also have research components). Which option do you think would be more suited towards pursuing medical school laters (research masters vs. course based+Co-op masters)? Both masters would be 2 years long.

PS: I think a weakness if my current med school application is a lack of publications although I have done research for the past 3-4 years already.

Thank you very much for your opinion! It's great appreciated!
Do course-based. Research is highly overrated in the pre-med community.

Reactions: 1 user
Lack of publications would never keep an applicant out of med school unless they only applied to Harvard and stanford md/phd programs.
If you think your gpa and mcat are solid I would forgo taking classes during your gap year and focus on finding a year long volunteer activity that you're passionate about and working to save money.
I'm not an expert on med school admissions, but that's what I did this year and it worked pretty well for me.