Research Opportunities and Internships Despite Low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSunnyDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Are there any non trads who have found programs that will let them in while rebuilding gpa?

Every interesting program I've seen lists 3.0 min. gpa requirements. I am a long way from that and would like to be smart about how I'm spending my time over the next few years as I get myself out of this hole.

I can't imagine applying with an already low 3.0 gpa (my goal!) without strong, interesting experiences to enhance my application

How do people work around this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys

Are there any non trads who have found programs that will let them in while rebuilding gpa?

Every interesting program I've seen lists 3.0 min. gpa requirements. I am a long way from that and would like to be smart about how I'm spending my time over the next few years as I get myself out of this hole.

I can't imagine applying with an already low 3.0 gpa (my goal!) without strong, interesting experiences to enhance my application

How do people work around this?

Well, I had a sub 3.0 GPA, no research experience, and a degree in economics and I was able to get an internship with the Food and Drug Administration, worked hard and did well, and have been a research chemist there for the past 1+ year with multiple first author pubs. So, yes, its definitely possible. Be hungry, network, and send humble emails.

Reactions: 1 users
Try a community college. There are many programs trying to help students get into science careers. I found some that got me positions at some of the best labs at Berkeley and ucsf.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I had a sub 3.0 GPA, no research experience, and a degree in economics and I was able to get an internship with the Food and Drug Administration, worked hard and did well, and have been a research chemist there for the past 1+ year with multiple first author pubs. So, yes, its definitely possible. Be hungry, network, and send humble emails.

Thanks so much for this. I'll follow suit and get started on this. One of the local hospitals has 200+ studies going on right now. I'm not afraid of some leg work. Someone's bound to say yes right?

Try a community college. There are many programs trying to help students get into science careers. I found some that got me positions at some of the best labs at Berkeley and ucsf.

Thats an interesting idea- I would have to attend a cc to make this happen wouldn't I? I'm a university student
I will see if I can pull up anything they have going on and see if I'm allowed to apply

Thats an interesting idea- I would have to attend a cc to make this happen wouldn't I? I'm a university student

Since you are a university student, have you tried just talking directly to professors? Many of them welcome students who are interested in trying out research. You may need to agree to stay with it for a certain amount of time so that it is worth it for the lab to train you. Don't expect to do prize-winning research from the start. In fact, you may well end up with simple tasks like washing chem lab glassware or scheduling experiment participants until the lab sees that you are a hard worker. That doesn't really matter for medical school applications, though. Most applicants do not have their name on a paper.

Reactions: 1 user