Research Opportunities Between Med School and Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobA

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a research year between graduating medical school and starting residency. In hindsight, I should have done this between MS3 & MS4, but it's too late for that. Anyone know if research opportunities between MS4 and internship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've known a few people who, early in 4th year, decide they don't like the specialty that they're applying/interviewing in and want to do something else instead. They are always counseled to drop out of 4th year immediately and set up their research gig then (starting in, say November - August of next year). It's best to hold on to your student status as long as possible, both for the basic benefits (insurance and so forth) as well as the immeasurable boon of applying to the match as a US senior rather than an independent applicant.

If you do like your chosen specialty (psychiatry in your case) obviously the advice still holds, though you'd have a tougher time justifying it to your med school dean and to residency PDs next year.

They are always counseled to drop out of 4th year immediately and set up their research gig then (starting in, say November - August of next year). It's best to hold on to your student status as long as possible, both for the basic benefits (insurance and so forth) as well as the immeasurable boon of applying to the match as a US senior rather than an independent applicant.

If you do like your chosen specialty (psychiatry in your case) obviously the advice still holds, though you'd have a tougher time justifying it to your med school dean and to residency PDs next year.

Thanks, that's great advice!

the immeasurable boon of applying to the match as a US senior rather than an independent applicant.

Is the application fee different for a US senior vs a US grad or am I misunderstanding the idea?? What about internationals? Thanks.

Is the application fee different for a US senior vs a US grad or am I misunderstanding the idea?? What about internationals? Thanks.

The fees are the same for everyone.

Blonde Docteur is referring to the lower match rate for non-students while presumably is due to a number of factors, not the least of which may be a prejudice against someone who presumably didn't match the first time around (ie, as a student).

In addition, applying as a graduate means that you don't have the benefit of advice from your school, easier access to faculty, etc.

blond is right about it being more beneficial to still be a student.
For one thing, having your med school's dean's office to help you with applying is VERY helpful, especially if they are any good at all.
Having said that, I know people who did various permutations of med school/research/residency. One in my graduating class graduated, did a surgical prelim year, did a research year, then somehow ended up in dermatology (there may have been a medicine prelim year in there somewhere too!).

I'd like to hear more about why you want to do research now vs. waiting a year or two...it might be more beneficial to your career to do the research at the place you're doing residency, vs. your med school. For example, you might make more connections with residency faculty there which would help you get a job or fellowship. But I don't know your chosen specialty or career goals so maybe I'm off base.