Research opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovesBikes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new here, and actually new to the pre-med game. I graduated last May with a B.A. in English and am currently doing pre-med requirements for the next couple of years. I think I have some good ECs and strong GPA, but where I'm really lacking is in research. Since I'm so new to this, I really have no idea where to start looking for research opportunities. I'm really green though: think freshman green (I'm currently taking cell bio, general chem, and community bio). During my undergrad I was on the creative writing side of the English major rather than the lit side, so I really have no experience whatsoever.

So, how did you guys get your first research opportunities? Any advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

We were required to make a poster for a class, and the faculty and students came around and we presented. One of the professors in the pharmacy building really liked it, and was working on something similar, so he offered me a spot. I got lucky.

But the best thing to do is to just go around and ask certain professors about their research interests, and if it interests you ask if you can work with them. It may take multiple rejections, before you find one willing to let you work with them

We were required to make a poster for a class, and the faculty and students came around and we presented. One of the professors in the pharmacy building really liked it, and was working on something similar, so he offered me a spot. I got lucky.

But the best thing to do is to just go around and ask certain professors about their research interests, and if it interests you ask if you can work with them. It may take multiple rejections, before you find one willing to let you work with them

Yes, many, many rejections...some don't even respond or say they have no room. I am still in this boat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Perserverance!

Good to know. I was a reporter for a while, so I know how to take rejection. Over and over again.

I go to a school with a substantial medical school; should I start with undergrad pros and then work my way through everyone?

To the OP - with your English language background, you might want to consider checking out speech pathology research, which generally focuses on language and speech disorders in children and adults. Studies in this discipline can involve populations ranging from children with autism to adults suffering from stroke.