Research Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MortellarPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a question that has been answered 173894758589 times, but my question is, how do I get involved with research or find research opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

The best way is to go to your schools website and look up a departments faculty list and start looking for professors to learn about their research. Sometimes they provide a website so you can see what they do. After you find these professors contact them by email and say like: Hi my name is OP, I am interested in your research. Do you have any research positions available? Then wait until they respond back. Some do and some don't but its hit or miss.

The best way is to go to your schools website and look up a departments faculty list and start looking for professors to learn about their research. Sometimes they provide a website so you can see what they do. After you find these professors contact them by email and say like: Hi my name is OP, I am interested in your research. Do you have any research positions available? Then wait until they respond back. Some do and some don't but its hit or miss.

Check your school website for research opportunities. Also, instead of emailing them, go into their office during their hours and talk to them in person. It'll make things less formal so that you can express your desire to research easily and maybe have a better chance at gaining a spot. Also, if this thread's been answered many times before you can use the search option.

Members don't see this ad :)

+1 I also was able to get involved in some research through hospital connections during a shadowing experience. Especially a hospital geared towards academic medicine, some of the doctors do research on the side and if you meet the right person you may just stumble upon a dr. that wouldn't mind some extra help.

Network. Ask one of your professors to point you in the right direction during office hours.

Look up labs that interest you, and contact the PI in charge to see if there's a spot for you. You can also start with summer research opportunities (such as REU programs) to get you some experience in a structured setting.