Army Research opportunity as an enlisted medic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

68xAD

Reaction score
Hello,

After reading a tremendous amount of horror stories of .milmed( radiology going to brigade surgeon etc), I am a little hesitant about applying for the EMDP2, but since I have kids, I think .milmed is a way to go.

I've been doing volunteer work over a year and now I want to expose myself to the research environment.

I was wondering if captains/majors ever witnessed this happening before or is it even a possibility?

I have a bachelor degree in biostat but I do not have a prior academic research experience.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be challenging but possible. I’d only do it if you’re genuinely interested. Your application can stand out in other ways and it’s not a hard requirement.

I think it would be challenging but possible. I’d only do it if you’re genuinely interested. Your application can stand out in other ways and it’s not a hard requirement.

Thank you.
What would you recommend I do to make my application stand out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking time to articulate what you've done in the military in a way that is understandable to civilians. Teamwork, leadership, service to others, dedication/perseverance. You've generally already done what will make your application stand out. Make sure you get some official shadowing in, maybe some community volunteering. I volunteered making dinners at a Fisher House on base and really enjoyed that.

Taking time to articulate what you've done in the military in a way that is understandable to civilians. Teamwork, leadership, service to others, dedication/perseverance. You've generally already done what will make your application stand out. Make sure you get some official shadowing in, maybe some community volunteering. I volunteered making dinners at a Fisher House on base and really enjoyed that.

I should look for more volunteer work on the base.
Thank you very much, sir!

I agree that you don't necessarily need research but if you want to pursue it then try to find an experienced physician researcher near you who is working with large clinical databases. Military or civilian doesn't matter. Tell them you have a background in statistics, are applying to medical school, and were hoping they might have a project for you. Ideally you want something where you're doing some statistics programming on already collected and abstracted data and then writing a manuscript. Data entry is reasonable but better if you can avoid it. Avoid anything where you need to collect data or run experiments yourself.

Reactions: 1 user