Research Opportunity Presented to Me...What do to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'd love some advice on this... Some background info- Currently a MS2. I have ZERO publications. I am currently involved with a project that involves loads of data entry and evaluation of XRs of fractures. Submission of that paper should be in two - three months.

Anyway, I got an offer from a faculty to be involved with a new study. Basically, I'd be involved w/ applying for the grant and be involved with the study upon the grant being approved. I was told that the backbone of the grant has been written out. The faculty wants a med student to do some work on it (No clue how much... but deadline is around Jan.) Assuming the grant is accepted... the actual study won't start until I'm in my third year. Given the time constraints... is it even possible to do research at that time?

I raised this issue with the faculty and we'd being having a face to face meeting soon. But before I do... I want to know what I need to consider before I make my decision? This sounds like a really good opportunity and I wouldn't really want to pass it up unless I know it's definitely a bad idea.

I don't want to put too much on the plate and overwhelm myself. Keep in mind, I'm not going for derm or ophth... But I'm definitely trying to find ways to make myself a competitive applicant when it is time to apply for residency.

I am aware that grades from clerkship and Step I far exceeds the importance of research. But like I said... I'm trying to be "well-rounded" and have that research on my belt... JUST IN CASE...

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously you need to consider your 3rd year schedule and see where you have some elective times for research. Another thing to keep in mind is if you're only offered 1 elective in 3rd year, do you really want to use that towards research?

I'd go for it if the nature of the work is such that you're able to put it down and come back to it at your convenience. You will have rotations during third year where you will have a decent amount of free time (psych, family, outpt surgery, outpt medicine, and maybe elective time).