research opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any specific, INTERNATIONAL programs for med students for summer research? I have heard there are some prestigous places abroad, anyone know of any (regardless of whether they have summer research opptnts for med students)?

Members don't see this ad.

I know for a fact that the NIH has one , as I attended the presentation that they gave at my school a few months ago. However, the program that they prefer med students to participate in is for one year: the summer program /8 weeks program is usually for undergrads, although medical students are able to participate if they want to. Sorry that I don't have the specific name, but I'm sure you can find it on the web.

Yea, that one, however, is in the U.S. I am looking for an institute internationally. Thanks though.

Members don't see this ad :)
HiddenTruth said:
Yea, that one, however, is in the U.S. I am looking for an institute internationally. Thanks though.
i'm looking for something like this too; let me know if you hear of anything

Go to www.ifmsa.org, click on "exchanges for medical students," then "research exchanges," and then search the database by country, subject, etc. There are hundreds of labs/projects listed, both clinical and basic science.

I did research in Germany the summer following my first year. Most of the opportunities on the website will involve you paying for your trip, but it is usually VERY cheap. I actually found an awesome professor who offered to give me a little $$$... enough to pay for housing and have a little left over. Since I planned on going to Europe for the summer anyways, it was great just to have a basically free place to stay.

For some reason, U.S. students aren't aware of this organization, thousands of medical students from other countries do these exchanges. When I was in Germany, there were also 2 students from Taiwan, 1 from Peru, 1 from Spain, 1 from Lithuania, and 1 from Austria... and that is just in the 1 city I was staying in.

Anyways, check it out and if you have any questions let me know.

I've checked out ifmsa--the downside is that none of these are truly funded. I'm having enough trouble paying for school, let alone a flight and housing without income. How do they expect you to afford this? Especially when you are working for them?
I could go and work for the summer and make half of my fall tuition.

Are there ANY international research projects that provide funding? And by funding I mean at least a flight and some housing.

where is the application form? i looked everywhere and cannot find...I am interested in a project in Spain..also it states that you apply for three projects?

drstrangelove said:
I've checked out ifmsa--the downside is that none of these are truly funded. I'm having enough trouble paying for school, let alone a flight and housing without income. How do they expect you to afford this? Especially when you are working for them?
I could go and work for the summer and make half of my fall tuition.

Are there ANY international research projects that provide funding? And by funding I mean at least a flight and some housing.

Most programs do not provide funding however with ifmsa there is meals and housing is provided for those participating through a bilateral exchange.