Research Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uscmk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all... I've recently been looking for a research position and was offered several opportunities; I wanted your input on which one you'd choose, given the pros and cons. The first lab is run by the associate dean of the school of gerontology (my major) and is attractive for its convenience-- it would be a 10 minute walk from my apartment. The second lab is run by an associate professor and MD at USC's Keck School of Medicine. As Keck is one of my top choices for medical school the option becomes more enticing, but the hospital is much further without even considering LA traffic. The research topics at both locations are fascinating: epidemiology/aging and the transmission of HIV from mother to child. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

first of all, congrats on being offered those two positions: both of which are spectacular. :clap:

Secondly, is there housing closer to the med school that you can afford? I live in city like LA (Miami) and I know traffic is killer but the offer of a research position at a med school is super amazing, especially at one of your top choices. I wouldn't let that opportunity go for convenience.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing!

Aww, thanks so much! And iI think you're right-- although moving off campus is not an option, it is a stellar opportunity to get to work first hand with a professor at my top choice medical school. Good luck to you too, maybe see you in a couple years?

hopefully! i'll be applying there for the 2009 cycle. Good luck!