Research Options...

Struggles

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Chicago
  1. Medical Student
    I'm kind of new to the whole research scene but have been desperately trying to figure out which option would be the most interesting. Since I don't really know much about any I figured I'd ask people that are experienced with it.

So here are my options: Form creation and data entry, Logistica/Barcodes, Data Extraction

Those are the available training sessions. Any input would be great, thanks!

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      i have no idea what it's like at your college, but OSU has tons of research options, it's just extremely hard to find a lab that will take you without any previous research (it's really hard to find research in departments that require training/ upper level classes.)

I'm a microbiology major and attempted to find research in micro and found that all 20+ labs dealing with micro didn't want a guy who had no previous time in a lab.

I had to go to OSU's hospital website and e-mail over 40 people before I finally found a lab that would take me. It is in a neurology lab but it specializes in immunohistochemistry, which has strong implications in my major but it's not exactly what I was looking for.

My point is, you can attend seminars (OSU offered 345254 of them a quarter but they were almost pointless, you really have to put your name out on your own) but you might have to take a research option that isn't exactly what you wanted. Get your foot in the door. Also, be prepared to dedication anywhere from 1-20 hours a week. Most labs really need to you to work many hours a week to overcome a steep learning curve, making your time there beneficial even if you duck out after one semester.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.