Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Research or clinical exposure

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by darkhorse, Dec 10, 2001.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse Member

Is research or clinical exposure NECESSARY to gain entrance into med schools? Or is one adequate?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

You can get into med school without research, and many people do. However, you'd have a much harder time getting in without some clinical experience. If I had to pick between them, I'd definitely go for the clinical stuff (I like the clinical stuff better too).

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006318" target="_blank">Here</a> is a thread that discussed people's research/clinical exposure before applying. It might be helpful to you.

5. Brian20

Brian20 Member

i think you will find that clinical experience is much more important than research. I think clinical helps in every arena, from writing essays, to speaking in interviews. i found that my research wasnt even an issue...i was never asked about it, but i did talk at length about my experiences in a hospital.

i also think that clinical gives you a taste of what your life will be like and you will love it or will hate it. it also helps to do clinical in place with nice people, especially since you will be doing scut work.

I am currently doing research and longing for the days when i worked with 5 wonderful nurses in a cardiac cath lab. you learn so much about the hospital and people....it really is great.

research will teach you a great deal about one subject that really has no value in the real world...even if it will one day cure some horrible illness.

clinical is more practical and helps so much more. it really does. so try to spend your summer in a hospital as opposed to a lab. i think you will be thankful down the road.