Research or Genetics or Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have completed (in a couple of weeks) the standard suite of pre-requisite courses as a returning student, and will be applying starting in June.

Next fall, I have some options. I could take, say, genetics or biochem. Or I could use the time doing undergraduate-level research at the local medical school. I won't have time to do both. Some of the projects underway look interesting, and that seems to me like a great experience, but I've also heard that upper-level science courses can be helpful.

What do y'all think? Thanks for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm certainly not an expert but from my interview experiences and personal knowledge of the credentials of other people who have been accepted, it seems that research is generally looked upon very favorably. I've taken both Biochemistry and I am finishing Genetics right now. Both courses, after taking Organic Chem and Gen Bio, were remarkably bland and uninteresting. Don't get me wrong there was more depth and certainly new material, but the superficial concepts have been covered in your other coursework. Research, I think, would be the best option for you. Especially if it is at a medical school as you say.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? If not I would recommend the genetics course.

If you have taken the MCAT, then it is going to come down to personal preference. I would take the classes and skip the research, but that is just my preference.

The research would look great on your application and you could probably secure a great recommendation.

There are plusses and minuses to your choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT last Saturday, and felt well-enough prepared by the coursework I have already done. In terms of interest, I think biochem sounds pretty interesting.

Unfortunately, neither will be in time for my application, which I want to submit in June this year. However, assuming I get any interviews, I can discuss either the lab or the classword then. Or send in an additional LOR later. I think I'm leaning toward the research, just for something different than sitting at a desk, which I do all day at work. Plus, if there's any chance I want to do academic medicine, it would be helpful to get my foot in the door now...

But I really am torn. I wish I could do both.

I would say do the research then. You will be taking classes in med school hopefully next fall so do something different now while you can. And you are right, it would give you something to talk about at your interviews.

Hope you did well on the MCAT!!

If you decide on taking biochem or genetics then you don't have to worry about it not being on your application because when you enter your courses on AMCAS you can enter the classes you plan to take in the fall of 2004 as well as in the spring of 2005 so the schools will see that you are planning on taking those courses.

As to choosing between research or class, I would recomend to find a way to do both. A lot of med schools strongly recomend biochemistry though it is not required. Also research will help open a lot of doors for you as well. If it's possible to take biochem in the spring then do research in the fall and take biochem in the spring. Or perhaps try to take biochem over the summer.

Also you need to consider what you will be doing in the lab. If this is your first exposure to a lab setting then perhaps you will be a lab assistant and just be responsible for the day to day chores of the lab without actually participating in any research. If this is the case, then I don't think it's worth it. If however you will actually be involved in the research process then it's a great experience and it would be tough to decide between that and biochem.

Just my two pennies.....

Do the research. I did a summer research project at the OU College of Medicine while I filled out my AMCAS. I got great experience, another great EC to list, three hours of senior-level biomed research credit, and two good letters of rec from faculty members of the school where I wanted to attend. There was not down side in my case. I would say definately do it if the med school is the one you want to attend. :thumbup:

id say do research, but you do know that some schools either require or strongly recommend that you take biochem...
so if you have time to take that sometime next year so that you dont have to limit yourself from some schools...