Research or SMP during glide year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLMP78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not applying for medical school until Spring 2017 as I haven't taken my MCAT and not going to until Jan. or April. I am waiting until I am ready as I really want to make sure I get a high score the first time around. I graduate in Fall 2016. I am kind of a non-traditional student as I graduated high school 2008, and I went to community college because of finances. I dropped out couple of times as I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and had some difficulties. I transferred and got help and graduated with my A.S in Life Science. I transferred to get a B.S degree and as I said before I graduate in Fall 2016. I am going to take a gap year and half and may do research, work at a hospital or do a SMP. But need some advice if I should do SMP to improve my GPA or do research. My stats are below.

Also, i am not sure what is my community college GPA as I transfer out in 2012 and really had a bad experience and not sure what I received in general biology I and II, I know it maybe a C or C+ but not sure. Going to find out when I go back as I forgot my username and password.

cGPA: ~ 3.56 ( could be lower didn't add my courses from community college as those grades aren't available right now)

Associate degree in Life Science with a 3.89 GPA

I will graduate in the Fall 2016, and with 3.4 GPA most likely

sGPA: ~ 3.41 ( could be lower didn't add my courses from community college as those grades aren't available right now)

Gen. Biology I and II: Not sure (explained above)

Gen. Chemistry I and II: A and A

A&P I and II: A and A

Physics (Calc based) I and II: A and A-

Physical Chemistry I: C+

Analytical Chemistry: B

Pathophysiology: B-

Organic Chemistry I and II: Retook B (1st time: D) and B-

Advanced Lab in Chemistry: A-

Chemistry Seminar Part 1: B+

Chemistry Seminar Part 2: Fall 2016

Biochemistry II: Fall 2016

Quantum Chemistry: Fall 2016

Topics in Molecular Biology: Fall 2016

MCAT: Most likely taking it in the Jan. or April

Residence:
NJ

Major: A.S Life Science and B.S Chemistry

Ethnicity: Asian

Clinical/volunteer work:

- 300+ hours as Patient Transporter (Volunteer)

- 200+ hours at a free clinic which I help start up in a small village in India.

- 100+ hours shadowing a Family Medicine (DO) and Anesthesiologist (MD)

Research: 1.5 years on drug delivery and lignin. No publications

Leadership: Currently working as a resident assistant, orientation leader, and have different leadership roles in different clubs and in honor societies.

Other:

- I did a lot of odd jobs and worked quite a bit in retail.

- Volunteer at a temple and camp that they host.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not applying for medical school until Spring 2017 as I haven't taken my MCAT and not going to until Jan. or April. I am waiting until I am ready as I really want to make sure I get a high score the first time around. I graduate in Fall 2016. I am kind of a non-traditional student as I graduated high school 2008, and I went to community college because of finances. I dropped out couple of times as I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and had some difficulties. I transferred and got help and graduated with my A.S in Life Science. I transferred to get a B.S degree and as I said before I graduate in Fall 2016. I am going to take a gap year and half and may do research, work at a hospital or do a SMP. But need some advice if I should do SMP to improve my GPA or do research. My stats are below.

Also, i am not sure what is my community college GPA as I transfer out in 2012 and really had a bad experience and not sure what I received in general biology I and II, I know it maybe a C or C+ but not sure. Going to find out when I go back as I forgot my username and password.

cGPA: ~ 3.56 ( could be lower didn't add my courses from community college as those grades aren't available right now)

Associate degree in Life Science with a 3.89 GPA

I will graduate in the Fall 2016, and with 3.4 GPA most likely

sGPA: ~ 3.41 ( could be lower didn't add my courses from community college as those grades aren't available right now)

Gen. Biology I and II: Not sure (explained above)

Gen. Chemistry I and II: A and A

A&P I and II: A and A

Physics (Calc based) I and II: A and A-

Physical Chemistry I: C+

Analytical Chemistry: B

Pathophysiology: B-

Organic Chemistry I and II: Retook B (1st time: D) and B-

Advanced Lab in Chemistry: A-

Chemistry Seminar Part 1: B+

Chemistry Seminar Part 2: Fall 2016

Biochemistry II: Fall 2016

Quantum Chemistry: Fall 2016

Topics in Molecular Biology: Fall 2016

MCAT: Most likely taking it in the Jan. or April

Residence:
NJ

Major: A.S Life Science and B.S Chemistry

Ethnicity: Asian

Clinical/volunteer work:

- 300+ hours as Patient Transporter (Volunteer)

- 200+ hours at a free clinic which I help start up in a small village in India.

- 100+ hours shadowing a Family Medicine (DO) and Anesthesiologist (MD)

Research: 1.5 years on drug delivery and lignin. No publications

Leadership: Currently working as a resident assistant, orientation leader, and have different leadership roles in different clubs and in honor societies.

Other:

- I did a lot of odd jobs and worked quite a bit in retail.

- Volunteer at a temple and camp that they host.
You have more than enough research already. I suggest you continue to work on GPA repair through an unofficial postbac (with some retakes to boost your AACOMAS GPAs quickly) where you earn all A grades, or if you really, really want your best shot at an MD school, a Special Masters Program (which is expensive, needs a competitive MCAT score, and in which you must earn a 3.7+ while competing with current med students, to make it worth the time and money).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Catalystik. So I should retake General Biology I & II and some of my upper level chemistry courses, and maybe some upper level biology courses?

Thank you Catalystik. So I should retake General Biology I & II and some of my upper level chemistry courses, and maybe some upper level biology courses?
Retake anything with a C or lower, with first priority going to science classes, especially those similar to med school classes. The P Chem grade could stand as it is, unless are very confident you'd do great on the second round. Remember that retakes, if they are at a second institution, cannot have fewer credits in order to qualify for AACOMAS grade forgiveness. Course title need not be identical, but content per the course catalog must be substantially similar. Retakes at the same school must be exactly the same class and course identifier, as I understand the new guidelines. Some original upper-level Bio with excellent grades on the first try would also be reassuring to adcomms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really wouldn't bother with retaking courses. Your GPAs are already plenty for DO schools and retaking isn't really going to do anything for you for MD programs

Your GPAs are pretty high to be doing an SMP. I would also say to just opt for some DIY PB work where you take upper level bio courses with the same subjects as a med school curriculum(ie microbio immunology etc)

Your viability as an MD candidate to a fair extent will hinge on your MCAT

The GPAs provided above do not yet include the first CC's coursework, about which OP said he/she "really had a bad experience".

My impression was it was mainly 2 science courses only that were of concern with the CC work.

Regardless, unless we are talking about a pretty substantial drop after including CC work(ie <3.2) I wouldnt really bother with spending much time on retakes. DIY PB work raises your GPA for both MD and DO calculations. If you want to retake a course or two out of interest or if you feel the material is really important, go ahead. But as long as you can get your GPA to the range that's competitive for DO programs by the end of some PB work(DO matriculant averages are cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.4) I just think time is much better spent focusing on new courses.

Retake anything with a C or lower, with first priority going to science classes, especially those similar to med school classes. The P Chem grade could stand as it is, unless are very confident you'd do great on the second round. Remember that retakes, if they are at a second institution, cannot have fewer credits in order to qualify for AACOMAS grade forgiveness. Course title need not be identical, but content per the course catalog must be substantially similar. Retakes at the same school must be exactly the same class and course identifier, as I understand the new guidelines. Some original upper-level Bio with excellent grades on the first try would also be reassuring to adcomms.

Thank you, I did some theoretical calculations, and I know I will get an A's in all my classes this Fall semester except maybe get an A- or B+ in biochem. Also, retaking gen bio I and II and getting A's, I should have a AACOMAS 3.5 sGPA and 3.6 cGPA, so I should be a good standing for DO. But, will it be fine to retake the gen bio I and II at CC as that's where I originally took it? Thank you again.

My impression was it was mainly 2 science courses only that were of concern with the CC work.

Regardless, unless we are talking about a pretty substantial drop after including CC work(ie <3.2) I wouldnt really bother with spending much time on retakes. DIY PB work raises your GPA for both MD and DO calculations. If you want to retake a course or two out of interest or if you feel the material is really important, go ahead. But as long as you can get your GPA to the range that's competitive for DO programs by the end of some PB work(DO matriculant averages are cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.4) I just think time is much better spent focusing on new courses.

Thank you GrapesofRath, I may take some upper bio classes as I don't have that many. Thank you again.

Also, retaking gen bio I and II and getting A's, I should have a AACOMAS 3.5 sGPA and 3.6 cGPA, so I should be a good standing for DO. But, will it be fine to retake the gen bio I and II at CC as that's where I originally took it?
Yes.

Have you tracked down all grades you earned at the first CC yet, so you know exactly where you stand?

Yes.

Have you tracked down all grades you earned at the first CC yet, so you know exactly where you stand?

I have tracked all my grades from the CC. I actually had three C in humanities courses and a C in Calculus I, and I already retook Gen Chem, PE, and English so I am good with those. I already took Calculus II and received an A, so I don't think it would matter if I don't retake Calculus I. But, I have two F's in a two study skills courses (never went to class), but I can't retake those because they are specifically part of an LD program I was in and I don't think they will allow me to get back. Will that be an issue?

Most likely I will retake Gen Bio I & II in the spring and summer, and send in my application early June, and start DIY PB and find a research job in the Fall. What do you think Cataystik? Thank you again for helping!

1) I have tracked all my grades from the CC. I actually had three C in humanities courses and a C in Calculus I, and I already retook Gen Chem, PE, and English so I am good with those. I already took Calculus II and received an A, so I don't think it would matter if I don't retake Calculus I. But, I have two F's in a two study skills courses (never went to class), but I can't retake those because they are specifically part of an LD program I was in and I don't think they will allow me to get back. Will that be an issue?

2) Most likely I will retake Gen Bio I & II in the spring and summer, and send in my application early June, and start DIY PB and find a research job in the Fall. What do you think Cataystik?
1) The effect of the two Fs can be drowned out with enough As so that they don't make a difference. Not retaking Calc I since you did so well in Calc II is fine.

2) Would you finish Bio I & II before taking the MCAT?

1) The effect of the two Fs can be drowned out with enough As so that they don't make a difference. Not retaking Calc I since you did so well in Calc II is fine.

2) Would you finish Bio I & II before taking the MCAT?

If I take the MCATs in Jan. I won't be able to take Bio I & II before then but I am still taking it in Spring and Summer 2017 term. I am hoping to start med school in Fall 2018. My best bet will be DO school, but I don't mind as I want to do family medicine or anesthesia. All I have to do know is make sure I get a high score on my MCAT. Thank you, really thought my CC would really crush my chances of becoming a doctor.

All I have to do know is make sure I get a high score on my MCAT. Thank you, really thought my CC would really crush my chances of becoming a doctor.
A string of consistent excellent terms will keep hope alive. With your determination to suceed and a good MCAT score, you'll be fine by the time you complete your GPA repair.

Thank you for your help Catalystik.