Research or Summer Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nietzsche

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, quick question. I was offered to do research w/ a Chem. Prof over the summer break. I plan on xferr'ing schools and the credits won't transfer over but I have no research done yet whatsoever and I'm guessing this would help out a bit? [My question is will it?] Right now it's either Research or finish Gen. Phys 2 over the summer break. Any suggestions? I just finished my Sophomore year btw.

Also, one last question, when is the best time to take the Mcats?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, quick question. I was offered to do research w/ a Chem. Prof over the summer break. I plan on xferr'ing schools and the credits won't transfer over but I have no research done yet whatsoever and I'm guessing this would help out a bit? [My question is will it?] Right now it's either Research or finish Gen. Phys 2 over the summer break. Any suggestions? I just finished my Sophomore year btw.

Also, one last question, when is the best time to take the Mcats?

Thanks

well yea research could help your application, but there are so many variables. what type of work will you be doing? how many hours a week/how much work will you be doing? etc.
you have to come out of the experience with something significant (i.e. you have to learn something about the research process, about yourself, maybe about where research fits into your career paths). if you think you could really gain something by doing research, go for it (dont just do it so you can put it on your application..) you could also get a lor if you do some good work. maybe you could continue during reg semester and get a publication out of it if your lab is really productive.

the best time to take the mcat is when you feel you are ready to get your best score-so long as you can apply to med schools early enough in the application cycle. i.e. just make sure you pick a test date that will let you get your score back early enough not to delay your application.