Research or volunteering at nursing home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TunnuS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I am going to apply to med school for the 2013 entrance cycle. The thing is I am very low on the extacurriculars; I have one summers worth of research experience and 2 years worth of volunteering at a doctor's office,plus I'll have 4-6 months of volunteering in ED by time I apply. To my schedule I can now either add volunteering at nursing home for a semester or doing 9 hrs/wk research per semester.

Considering the EC's I have so far and 3.5 gpa, how does application look so far? What kind of activities should I go for to enhance the application? What would med schools favor more, another semester of research or volunteering with red cross, or at nursing home. Is another semester of research going to help much? I guess what I really want to know is what EC's and how much more do I need to add to turn myself into an appealing candidate with a fair shot for the next admission cycle

Thanks for your responses

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone

I am going to apply to med school for the 2013 entrance cycle. The thing is I am very low on the extacurriculars; I have one summers worth of research experience and 2 years worth of volunteering at a doctor's office,plus I'll have 4-6 months of volunteering in ED by time I apply. To my schedule I can now either add volunteering at nursing home for a semester or doing 9 hrs/wk research per semester.

Considering the EC's I have so far and 3.5 gpa, how does application look so far? What kind of activities should I go for to enhance the application? What would med schools favor more, another semester of research or volunteering with red cross, or at nursing home. Is another semester of research going to help much? I guess what I really want to know is what EC's and how much more do I need to add to turn myself into an appealing candidate with a fair shot for the next admission cycle

Thanks for your responses

Unless you are certain to get a 4.0 for your remaining terms, I'd forget adding any more activities and focus on bringing your gpa up to at least a 3.6 and spend some of the rest of your free time preparing for the MCAT. Those two things are going to do more to make you an appealing candidate than additional research or volunteerism will.