Research or volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question I haven't seen brought up here before. If I participate in volunteer research diving, is that research or volunteer experience? It basically involves SCUBA diving to help scientists with monitoring, measuring, specimen collection, and other things that need to be done underwater. I'm not sure because it involves participation in a research activity, but I probably wouldn't be involved in the planning, data analysis, etc aspects of the research.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I'd say volunteering. If you aren't conducting the research/seeing the results, I think it's a stretch to call it "research," but definitely write about how it is research-related in your app.

I am thinking Volunteer Research? ....but I think it would be classified more as research than volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would classify it as whichever you have less of already. Really it doesn't matter very much what you classify it as, just give a very clear description of it in the explanation box and adcoms will decide for themselves. Imo, if people can classify doing lab rat activities as research, then this should certainly count.

damn that is the sickest research everrrrr