research post-ugrad and residency advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

romanjetfighter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am doing research for a year after graduation and i can't decide between two basic science labs at a hospital

one deals with a specific pathway for stem cell differentiation in the brain and there is no "translational" aspect of it and it doesn't relate to cancer at all. ive talked to the PI and he was super nice and we get along.

the other deals with novel pathways in cancer and potential targets for cancer treatments

i am more interested in the 2nd lab's research topics, havent met anyone in the lab yet, but my professors who are very smart and research savvy think i am a better fit for the 1st one

will doing research on stem cells vs. cancer for 1 year post-bacc affect residency choices if i want to do rad/onc or perhaps IM/oncology?

any advice would be very appreciated. i am not the best and choosing labs!

Members don't see this ad.

Do whichever you think is more interesting. I doubt residencies care that much about what you do in college/gap year.

Do whichever you think is more interesting. I doubt residencies care that much about what you do in college/gap year.

+1. Assess the one you'd be most interested in, therefore more dedicated to. You should also see which lab will allow you to undertake a larger role in the actual research, or even a personal project, hopefully resulting in a publication! :cool: