1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Research: Posterboard or Thesis?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by t2oo5, Jul 27, 2006.

1. t2oo5

t2oo5 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a few questions:
    Pertaining to undergrad research, what exactly is a posterboard presentation and who reviews it? I was just introduced to the idea of a posterboard presentation vs a thesis.​
    I know they are significantly less work, and the reason I would like to do this is simply free up more time to do a summer research stipend program at another school. I currently do research at my university (going into soph), and I also would like to do a summer program at another school my junior year just to get a taste of another area of science; particularly more medicinally oriented. My research is more along the lines of inorganic chem; don't get me wrong though, I do love the area. I just would also like another experience under my belt. ​
    Now, realistically I have to choose: Thesis + My schools research only or: Posterboard + My school research & Summer Stipend program. I don't think I would have enough time to dedicate to my schools research to do a thesis and give up a summer to do another field of research. What do you guys think?​
    And also, anyone who has an idea of these posterboard presentations, please enlighten me some more. My understanding is that they are funded through some sort of chemical society, not by individual schools.​
    Thanks for your input!​

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eerapido

eerapido EagleEyes
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

My understanding of poster presentations involves the presentation of such posters at regional/national/international meetings. The research you do to prepare a poster could be the presentation of your thesis data. I am involved in a research lab, and until my research gets published, my posters have been reviewed and presented at both regional and national microbiology meetings. The funding for my posters have been through the laboratory of my mentor professor.

Maybe this hits the top of the iceburg.