Research predicament/ fraternity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jusgeo89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at a state university. I have a 38Q and approximately 3.9 gpa. Extra curricular activities include: EMT-B with over 200 certified calls over 3 years (on and off with same squad), relief trip to Nicaragua, shadowing at 2 hospitals, teaching organic chemistry, peer mentoring, research in a psychology lab, joining and actively participating in a pre-medical professional fraternity, and recolonizing a social fraternity (vice president).

My goal is to try and get into a top 10 medical school. Is this possible?

I have done research for 2 years in a lab studying endocrine disruptors, but I have not and will not publish. Will this hurt my chances? I talked to one of my friends who was 2nd author of a paper and got interviews at many highly ranked medical schools. He told me 45 minutes of every hour was spent talking about his research. Will this be the case even if I don't publish? Should I just omit this from my application?

Also side note, do medical schools care about social fraternities?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a junior at a state university. I have a 38Q and approximately 3.9 gpa. Extra curricular activities include: EMT-B with over 200 certified calls over 3 years (on and off with same squad), relief trip to Nicaragua, shadowing at 2 hospitals, teaching organic chemistry, peer mentoring, research in a psychology lab, joining and actively participating in a pre-medical professional fraternity, and recolonizing a social fraternity (vice president).

My goal is to try and get into a top 10 medical school. Is this possible?
Yes.
I have done research for 2 years in a lab studying endocrine disruptors, but I have not and will not publish. Will this hurt my chances?
No.
one of my friends who was 2nd author of a paper and got interviews at many highly ranked medical schools. He told me 45 minutes of every hour was spent talking about his research. Will this be the case even if I don't publish? Should I just omit this from my application?

Interviewers will talk about whatever in your application is novel. By definition, your research should be novel. Also, most interviewers are physicians and/or scientists, so they tend to be interested in new developments in research. In addition, if the school is interested in students who enjoy research, they'll ask some questions to measure your passon and your ability to describe your work (to see if you were really involved & playing attention or if you were a clueless automaton).

Not having published is absolutely not a reason to leave the research off of your application. Leaving it off would be a huge mistake.
Do you mean a membership organization with a "house"? That can be a plus if you've had a leadership position. Otherwise, neutral.

First - whoa. Lizzy M as in the LizzyM scoring system? does that mean you are famous? lol

Secondly, I do understand my research as I was doing a lot (not just washing dishes) however my friend told me it was like a thesis defense.

Members don't see this ad :)
First - whoa. Lizzy M as in the LizzyM scoring system? does that mean you are famous? lol

:D At your service.

Secondly, I do understand my research as I was doing a lot (not just washing dishes) however my friend told me it was like a thesis defense.

It shouldn't be but maybe some interviewers are pretty intense. You might get asked much more if you apply MD/PhD because they want to be sure you are totally dedicated to your lab and that you have transferable skills that will be useful on that campus.

I have done research for 2 years in a lab studying endocrine disruptors, but I have not and will not publish. Will this hurt my chances? I talked to one of my friends who was 2nd author of a paper and got interviews at many highly ranked medical schools. He told me 45 minutes of every hour was spent talking about his research. Will this be the case even if I don't publish? Should I just omit this from my application?

Publications don't come easy. From my understanding, many undergrads who apply DON"T have publications. Keep that in mind. So No i don't think it'll hurt your chances. You want to omit your research from you AMCAS app? Sorry but are you crazy?
It's become a norm these days from pre-meds to do research, volunteer, get leadership experience, shadow etc. So i wouldn't exclude research from your application.

Can't answer this so much, I have friends that were in fraternities get into med school so i don't think it has much merit.

Best of luck when applying. Don't be sad about the lack of publications not many people have a pub.